Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building up a 302 that will put out near 400hp at the flywheel...probably more if i throw in a little shot of nos. Im trying to figure out what to do trannywise. I dont want an AOD because the shift sequence is not very...good for racing. Ive ruled out a t-5 because of the costly work involved in switching the car over. Im basically left with either a c-4 or c-6. I have a c-4 that was good when i pulled it out of the car. Im wondering if that will last or if i should buy a new one. Maybe the TCI one. what does everyone think? thanks ryan

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What year is the C4? Pan fill or case fill?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'd build the C4. Lots of good go-fast and go-hard parts available for them now. Plus they are dime a dozen, well, almost, if you need a stock part for them. And, I would have my local tranny guy build it with good seals and clutches verses buying one and paying freight.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've used junk yard C-4's behind engines with that kind of power. I make 750 on the dyno & add 300 Nitrous, never had a problem with my C-4.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no freight on the tranny. Every couple months i make a run up to Summit in Nevada and get some stuff that i want...me and friends go for a day off. But the c-4 I have, i know nothing about. It was given to me and they said it was a c-4. I dont really want to work on the tranny much since i dont know anything about trannys and dont want to experiment. a local shop wants like 500 or so to rebuild it but they wont promise me how much power it can hold up too. atleast Tci will tell me that. Thanks ryan

·
Registered
284 Posts
what happens if i put this deep pan i have on my c4, it is like 3-4 inches deep as compared to the 2-3 inch pan. i have two c-4's different years. would i need more fluids? would it keeep it a bit cooler?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Yes ,you will need more fluid,but you will also need a special filter or pickup so the filter still picks up from the bottom of the pan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts