Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i built a 400m engine got it in my truck running high volume pump at idle i am running 70 psi at idle i am currently running valvoline 40w racing oil to seat the pistons used it for all my 302 motors no smoke from cylinders lots of compression running flat top 10: 1 badger pistons i drove it 2 days doin great the 3 rd day i got a little over zelious i did a low gear pull into second about 3/4 throttle pulls very hard imediately after that my oil guage started fluctuating at idle i stopped and talked to a friend for 30 min or so got back in fired it up guage read good 70 psi at the stop signs my pressure would drop to around 50 warmed up 160 degrees didnt fluctuate at all i drained oil have checked rod bearings they all look great mains seem to be in place i am going to check no 4 main and no 2 main i did run a oil line from rear of motor to front of motor side by oil filter i guess if mains look good i will reassemble andhave considered using 30 w oil i traditionally have ran straight weight oils in my engines as i think it keeps the rings pressure in the cylinders i was guessing that i should be around 450 hp but have seen some articles showing lower numbers it is .040 over bore 10:1 flat tops running a .50 lift cam 276 and 286 duration any help is appreciated thanks sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
stopped and talked to the guy that did machining on my block and came to the conclusion need bigger oil pan to have more oil reassembled lower started at idle cold is at 70 psi again i am going to make a deeper pan starting tomorrow lol feel alot better about it i confused myself by running the external line to balance the front and back bearings

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
a bigger oil pan with the capacity like the over-the-road truck have .
6 gallons of oil will keep the rings sealed real good

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
hi guys i built a 400m engine got it in my truck running high volume pump at idle i am running 70 psi at idle i am currently running valvoline 40w racing oil to seat the pistons used it for all my 302 motors no smoke from cylinders lots of compression running flat top 10: 1 badger pistons i drove it 2 days doin great the 3 rd day i got a little over zelious i did a low gear pull into second about 3/4 throttle pulls very hard imediately after that my oil guage started fluctuating at idle i stopped and talked to a friend for 30 min or so got back in fired it up guage read good 70 psi at the stop signs my pressure would drop to around 50 warmed up 160 degrees didnt fluctuate at all i drained oil have checked rod bearings they all look great mains seem to be in place i am going to check no 4 main and no 2 main i did run a oil line from rear of motor to front of motor side by oil filter i guess if mains look good i will reassemble andhave considered using 30 w oil i traditionally have ran straight weight oils in my engines as i think it keeps the rings pressure in the cylinders i was guessing that i should be around 450 hp but have seen some articles showing lower numbers it is .040 over bore 10:1 flat tops running a .50 lift cam 276 and 286 duration any help is appreciated thanks sam
forgot to ask . in a car or truck ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts