Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know I went to 15" wheels on my 63 Galaxie. In doing so I needed 15" wheel covers. I found a set on Ebay for $575 advertised as 406/427 wheel covers. Since there was another add with a price of $3000 for a new nos set I figured I could live with a few dents. The add said they were show quality. The add also stated no refunds, no returns. Both sellers were from Michigan. One from Kalamazoo and the other doesn't disclose his exact location. When I got them they were dented up past my standards for a rusted out piece of junk, much less a restored car. The wheel covers were 1956 Mercury and he'd used an electical box cover for backing plates. One was so bent up there's no possibility of it staying on a wheel. Since then I have bought two nice 56 Mercury wheel covers for $30 bucks each and drilled my own holes to hold the spinner on. I use the backing rings off my 14" set so it works out well. I'm still looking for a couple of nicer 56 wheel covers. Just to let you know if you put them on newer wheels you have to cut the Mercury emblem out of the wheel cover because the wheel covers are too shallow to clear the front hubs. Works out well. The guy selling the 406/427 wheel covers has since changed his add to read " looks nos 406/427". His handle is stang54321.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey I think that bumper can be used as a great core. That is 250 bucks towards a new one off. Alot of money still left there. I took a galaxie after stripping to junk yard for another 350 for steal. Thats 600 so far, still looking. Unless FE can fix it back to showroom state I say we go scrape that sucker. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Have you ever seen pictures of the original 63-64 15" cover? It's been a while but I think the center is smooth on the backside. No hole and no embossed head. To take a '56 Merc cover and make it work the spinner has to be centered EXACTLY or the wobble will fling the center off. Same is true when putting a 1965 die cast spinner on a base Galaxie wheel cover.

The other vendor you spoke of is in Dewitt MI and he's another guy to be wary of.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LARSOFVT,
I placed them as close as my calipers could get them. I bought a set of 1970 LTD hubcaps that had never been on a car for $120 bucks. They look good but don't add anything extra to the car but they don't take away anything either. The spinners I wanted to take to Carlisle for the show there. The last thing I need is a hubcap being stuck between the fenderskirt and the wheel while I'm doing 65mph. I'll be running the 1970 LTD hubcaps to the shows and on trips. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
With my 3:50 rear, I'd like to go back to 15" to cut down on the highway rpms, but I like the 14" 500XL caps too much.

Back in the 80's, I ran 15" rims with 72 LTD Brougham caps. Looked OK (car wasn't an XL back then), but with the stock 3:00 rear and a tired 352/250, she wasn't exactly a peppy car.

Felt like I was towing a trailer all the time.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to 15" tires and a 2.75 rear gear just for that reason. At 60 mile per hour now I'm doing about 2000-2100 rpm. I wish I had a Tremec in this car. I'd still get to light the tires and have decent gas mileage too. Jim

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The good things about my 3:50 and 14" tire set up is that it's obviously quicker off a dead stop, it gets to third gear really quick under normal driving, and once in third, it rarely downshifts unless I trounce it or come to a stop.

I just have to keep it around 60/65 maximum on the highway, which is fine until you hit the NJ Tpke, GS Parkway, or Interstates. Then, at 60/65, the traffic tends to leave you behind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.