Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem i can't find the part number on the intake.
It is a 406 tri-power intake,the only numbers i can find is the firing order.Does anyone have a clue what that means.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Most didn't have casting numbers on them. They were all the same anyway. T-Bird tri-power manifolds were different as the carb mounting surfaces were all on the same plane and Galaxie (FE) tri-power were stepped.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I dug out an old picture of an engine we built back in late 1962. It shows a part number running along top of runner going to #1 hole. Cannot read though.

Few minutes ago, I looked out in garage as to one we bought about 1966, and there is no part number upon it. It may have been by this era one manifold fit all. My catalogue shows different parts numbers based upon assembly of parts, gaskets and air filter.

Wm.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The numbers that are on Ford intakes is the casting #, if the car came down the assembly line with it on, it will have the casting #, they were made for a particular application. Sounds like yours is a Ford over the counter HIPO part. It should have the Ford "blue oval" or "FOMOCO" cast into it but most of the accessory intakes don't have the casting # on them. Doesn't make them any better or worse unless you want a #s matching OE part.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Listen fella's, FORD put Part #'s on EVERY part they made that could take one. Intakes, heads and blocks, water pumps, cranks, connecting rods... You get the gist...

Anyhow, if there is only a firing order and no part #'s then you're likely (Very Likely) looking at an aftermarket intake.

I've seen a lot of Tri-Power intakes with the makers names ground off to make people believe they were factory intakes...

FE

·
Registered
189 Posts
I own a 406, the intake did not have the ususal C- based #'s on it. No firing order also. This was not an aftermarket intake. A friend of mine also owns an unmolested 406 G code gal his carries 0 #'s but very small casting number , but not of the usual part ref. numbers. some of these were dealer installed on early 406's or so Ive been told. Also could be 401hp 390 intake. JMO

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Dealer installed means aftermarket not factory.... It's not a genuine Ford intake manifold if there are no part #'s on it unless it's a one off experimental item or the like, and, even though the 406 was a minumum production engine (meaning not every car had one) the tri-power intakes in general were not, and they will have a ford part # if a genuine ford.

FE

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dealer installed meaning shipped by ford with the parts (complete Tri-power assembly) in the trunk for dealer to install. Again I know we will disagree. I just gave the examples of what I own or have seen. Maybe some came without as fords racing HP development program was progressing at a fast pace ? I've heard of stranger things.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One more note: ford did farm some of their work out to different manufacture. As with the lightweight galaxie program or T-bolts using off site build shops. Super Duty Pontiacs running F series truck air scoops with a pontiac part # If you go on the FE forum and search the word Tri power you will read some interesting posts by people that deal with these on a daily basis. As HP trends says most tri-powers only had a date code near the thermostat housing. some have firing orders some not. Carls ford parts say there were 4 different tri-powers. And most agree they were never installed at the factory but at the dealer delivered with the car in the trunk. but will be on the build sheet for the car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64rag on 10/31/06 9:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Frist off guys, the numbers cast on Ford parts are just that casting numbers, not part numbers. Second The only 6V (Ford name for tri-power) sent in the trunks were the early '61 390, 401 HP cars. I have two orginal tri-power 406 manifolds here at the house, one has the firing order and date code of 2 B 27, but no casting number the other manifold is off of my 70,000 mile orginal 63 Galaxie G code 406. It has the firing order and a ink stamp date code I can't read. The car was build in November, '62. This manifold has never been hot tanked so all the factory numbers are on it. But no casting number. I have two more tri-power manifols down at the shop and will check them tomorrow. All after market tri-power manifolds were made for carbs other than the wide bolt Holley two barrels that Ford used. Most after market tri-power manifolds were made before 1961 when Ford came out with tri-power. The only other tri-power FE Ford manifold is the one used on T-Birds. And it is different than a Galaxie manifold. All Ford tri-power FE manifolds had a provision for a heat shield to be bolted on the bottom of the manifold to keep the oil spray off of the heat passage.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Checked the two manifolds down at the shop today. One has a date code and both have firing orders but neither has a casting number.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Messed around with them in the day ...

The tripower intake was a hurry up job from day 1, and in all likelihood, farmed out to a specialty aluminum foundry like Buddy Barr (still in business, saw them at PRI. nice guys).

I'm not surprised if there is no number, but it "don't make no nevermind". If it is tiered or stepped, it is the Galaxie/Mercury 6V; if it's flat, it's a T-Bird 6V.

My memory is hazy from all those gasoline fumes, but, I recall some later accessory 6V's with bungs in the back to accomodate power brake vacuum ports and/or auto trans modulator tees. Might have those mixed up with the Shelby 8V's.

What are you planning to do with it? BG has a cool replacement in the works for the wide flange Holley 6V setup, betcha it works a lot better!

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts