Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new this forum...I have a 67 coupe that im restoring from top to bottom. I'm saving the original drivetrain just in case I want to make it an original car in the future...but for now, I'd like to stick a 408w, and a TKO600 in the car. My goal is to have a 550hp/ft lb streetable car. My definition of streetable is: Great power (torque) down low and hp up top, don't mind a lopey cam, dont have to worry about overheating if i get caught in traffic. Im just wondering if that "too much" power for the street. Even with drag radials and cal-tracs.

My question is: Is it possible to put a 408w under the stock hood? I have the deluxe hood with the built in turning signal indicators and I really want to keep it on the car. I know Morris makes drop motor mounts, but with long tubes and the oil pan wont i have issues when i hit bumps in the road? I assume i would also have to use a low intake (which would lower my power)? I've heard even an air-gap has trouble fitting under a stock hood.

Any answers/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Hey dude! I have a 351W in my '68 and it cleared my Holley Street Dominator intake. The intake height is what it's going to boil down to. I ran a typical 14" x 3" air cleaner and the factory hood closed right down to the top of the hold-down wing nut. Cleared by the smallest of margins. I'm running a Victor Jr intake now so I went with a cowl hood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts