Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think he went so fast that he entered the 8th dimension with Ellen Barkin and never returned. So fast that John BigBoote even quit chasing him. :D

Almost 200 more HP than I have!...hope you got really good insurance!

I gotta get me one of those!

I went his website. His daughter Jolene is cute.

I Wonder if he remembers how much he milled the intake?

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My local tracks are 1/8th mile. Back when I was running the toploader it would usually go 6.8x at 100-101 if it wasn't 100 degrees out. I usually ran around 7.0 when it was real hot out.
I did squeeze a couple 6.7x's out of it at a little over 102 when it cooled off in the fall. Since then I've put in a Jerico which I'm hoping will shave off a little ET. I've found a couple mechanical problems on the car since the Jerico install which should help as well. I didn't get to the track at all last year, but this year should be a different story. Gas milage is really ****ty so I usually only race at the two tracks close to me. I'm excited to run on the bottle this year with the Jerico. I'm hoping to weigh the car this year as well. I'm guessing it to be around 3500 with me in it.

687 - YouTube

·
Registered
22 Posts
My local tracks are 1/8th mile. Back when I was running the toploader it would usually go 6.8x at 100-101 if it wasn't 100 degrees out. I usually ran around 7.0 when it was real hot out.
I did squeeze a couple 6.7x's out of it at a little over 102 when it cooled off in the fall. Since then I've put in a Jerico which I'm hoping will shave off a little ET. I've found a couple mechanical problems on the car since the Jerico install which should help as well. I didn't get to the track at all last year, but this year should be a different story. Gas milage is really ****ty so I usually only race at the two tracks close to me. I'm excited to run on the bottle this year with the Jerico. I'm hoping to weigh the car this year as well. I'm guessing it to be around 3500 with me in it.

687 - YouTube
I'm looking to do a 408w .060 over ,11.5:1,vicjr int.,t-5,3.73,750 dp and i will drive it up to 200mi a week and want to go on vacations with it looking to get 14mpgs if possible but i love the fast reving solid roller do you have any cam sugistions my heads right now are ported e7 would like to save for afrs

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know this thread is quite old but I thought I would ask anyway.
I'm building a 408 very very close to this guys 410. I only hope it will make 625 hp. I would be thrilled. It's going in my sons first racecar. (He has driven many others before)

The combo is
Stock Roller Block Half Filled
408 Windsor 4.03 x 4 flat top
AFR 205's 58cc chamber
Quick Fuel HP 950
Super Victor out of the box
SRP pistons 12.5 to 1 SCAT H beam rods
SCAT crank (externally/balanced)
ARP Head Studs
Canton Oil Pan
Canton Main Girdle (beautiful piece and no mods to caps)
Canton Windage Tray
I'm setup for oiling mods(everything is taped) but I don't know yet weather I will restrict or not. I ceratinly don't think is a necesasaity on this block. I will block the four valley center drainbacks

Comp Cams Solid roller Grind# FW 4045 / 4049 SR108.0
Valve adjustment .026 intake/ .026 exhaust
Lift .672/.672
Duration @.020 308/316
Valve timing @.050
Int. 27 BTDC close @ 63 ABDC
EXH. 67 BBDC close 31 ATDC
108 intake c/l
108 lobe sep.
Duration @ .050 270/278
Lobe lift is .421/.421
Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
Dynotech 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers 3" collector(still not sure about this header)
1.76 low Powerglide to a 4.86 gear

87 Mustang

My question was did anyone ever hear from Cain again? I wonder how his combination turned out?
With that big drag roller cam and high compression you will make 650hp for sure. I'm making close to 600 crank, and my cam is a smaller street roller xr292r, and my compression is lower also at 10.5:1.

·
Registered
136 Posts

687 - YouTube
FYI Cain
Ours ran 6.39 best so far at 107 I think it was. Here is a 6.4 pass and I am still working the bugs out so it's not been run much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4CbTC72bU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...esTiEhBd0&NR=1

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
FYI Cain
Ours ran 6.39 best so far at 107 I think it was. Here is a 6.4 pass and I am still working the bugs out so it's not been run much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4CbTC72bU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...esTiEhBd0&NR=1

Update
We changed Heads from AFR 205's to the new AFR 220 and picked up .25 for a best ET so far of 6.24 @ 110.

I will tell everyone thinking of doing a 408 of larger drag motor that the AFR 205's are not big enough for it and I wouldn't build another drag type motor with AFR Heads of any kind if I was starting over again. I would go with a TW or Highport Head. These big stroker motors are going to love a lot of air flow. I thought our restriction was in the intake but it turned out our restriction was in the heads and I think we still have power left on the table now with the 220's. That's with a 408 motor too and we do not turn it over 7300 rpm.
It sounds much happier now than it did with the 205's on it. AFR 205 is a 347/355 head tops on a race motor in my opinion. Another thing while I'm semi bashing AFR (I don't dislike them) is that there Head requires a little more lead than I'm used to with a semi decent Ford Head. I ran(what is supposed to be ****) Windsor Sr's. that were ported on my 347 prior to this and they would not make more power past 34 degrees of lead. The AFR Heads need 36 or 37 to make the best power on the track.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice job Das Jager. Looks like your car is running pretty strong with the new heads. I am inclined to agree with you. If I build another one it will not have AFR heads on it. It will likely be a 4.125 bore Dart block with a set of TEA highports on it.

TFS Highport | :: Total Engine Airflow ::

I'll have to blow the current engine up before that build happens though :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts