Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one wanted to re do the bushings on a 4100 , what would have to be done. Would this have to be completed by a shop , or could one do it at home. I know that they may be pushed it and then have to be drilled to fit..? Then the shafts have to be cleaned up too. Guessing just with emery cloth

Greg

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
There are NO bushings on a 4100 throttle shaft. (that's why they get old and suck air)

You need bushings that fit your shaft, and a multitude of drill sizes to drill the base plate for the bushing then instal and reassemble...

Drop an e-mail to my Carburetor guy and ask him. it's [email protected] tell him Gary sent you to ask a question or two.

FE

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
They do make a tool for this, but its pricey. (200 buck range IIRC) so for just one carb it wouldnt pay to have the tool.... I'll dig around some and see if i can find the site again...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Best left for a pro unless you have the right equipment and are a machinist or tool and die maker.
The bushings would have to be custom machined and the carb body set up and bored to size so the throttle shaft is precisely in the center of the intake bores.
I have done my own but I got the stuff needed.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks FE

I will give that a try

Thanks

Greg

There are NO bushings on a 4100 throttle shaft. (that's why they get old and suck air)

You need bushings that fit your shaft, and a multitude of drill sizes to drill the base plate for the bushing then instal and reassemble...

Drop an e-mail to my Carburetor guy and ask him. it's [email protected] tell him Gary sent you to ask a question or two.

FE

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
It's pretty simple if you're the DIY handyman type. You use a .375" piloted reamer (under $20) to open and even the worn shaft bores, then insert .005" Teflon strips (wrapped into a tube - under $10 for a lifetime supply), and stake the ends lightly to retain or with a dab of paint. Reassemble. Done.

Although 4100s were not that way, many carbs were and are made that way today. Nothing new.

David

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
But David, a wise man once said "If it was easy everyone would do it".....;)

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might be the way to go. I was thinking I would have to drill out the shaft and press in a brass sleeve

Cheers

Greg

It's pretty simple if you're the DIY handyman type. You use a .375" piloted reamer (under $20) to open and even the worn shaft bores, then insert .005" Teflon strips (wrapped into a tube - under $10 for a lifetime supply), and stake the ends lightly to retain or with a dab of paint. Reassemble. Done.

Although 4100s were not that way, many carbs were and are made that way today. Nothing new.

David

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Oilite bronze sleeves would be fine too. The piloted reamer is the trick to keep it straight, and you don't need any fancy machinery to get a good job. For the PTFE (Teflon) version, I actually prefer to ream it out larger for .010" or thicker strips, as the .005" stuff is really thin and floppy, so it can be a bit frustrating to handle. The only problem there is the reamer will either be a special diameter or an adjustable one - both rather more expensive.

The up-side, is you could likely sell the reamer and PTFE as a set to someone on the forums to do theirs for what you paid. Tiny needle bearing sets can also be used as they are in blown setups with high shaft loads, but that's more than overkill, and generally requires better equipment to do a good job.

David

While inexpensive for the tiny SCE66-style needle bearings ($4-5 each), the job becomes substantially more complicated:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

FE

And not just the 4100 carb either... kinda explains goings on elsewhere on the boar... oh suck not blow... NM then.... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts