edelbrock RPM intake, flow balanced and ported +50cfm/runner
afr205 heads
hooker 1 5/8 super comp headers, 2 1/5 exhaust
crane roller lifters

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dyno flow conditions were not that great, bad air and the intake was pretty hot. I also have a lossy FMX trans. This shop has proven that their chassis dyno FWHP estimates are conservative.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
On 2006-11-01 12:47, alanmacdougall wrote:
Tom; Here is my engines basic list of the specs;
Its a 418w
probe SRS piston's 10.4:1
Probe lightweight forged rods
Probe forged crank
custom roller cam
bigs 780vs holley
edelbrock RPM intake, flow balanced and ported +50cfm/runner
afr205 heads
hooker 1 5/8 super comp headers, 2 1/5 exhaust
crane roller lifters
Four differences I have and make 75-100 RWHP more than you. Intake: Super Victor. Carb: 950 DaVinci Cam: Solid roller 256/260 @ .050, .650 lift. 3" Exhaust.
I run a C6, very, very lossy...
The rest of your combo is very strong.
Are you after ET or pleasure cruising?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't fit anything taller than the rpm intake with my shaker setup. Your cam is way more than my roller cam, 581/570 lift. How streatable is your setup? Its a pleaure cruiser at this time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes seams like your hp numbers are a bit low for the hard wear you have. Most likely just some tuning will bring it around. Dump the tranny, i would go with a purpose built C4. That will help the hp numbers.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
On 2006-11-01 17:02, alanmacdougall wrote:
I can't fit anything taller than the rpm intake with my shaker setup. Your cam is way more than my roller cam, 581/570 lift. How streatable is your setup? Its a pleaure cruiser at this time.
Drive it all over. Idles at 750 RPM. Very tough idle but that's about it. To me it's a small cam in a big motor.

IFF you want to bump up the HPs let us know and those of that are making the power can guide you. And a C4 won't help your HP numbers much...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Alan:

Good job!

I'm pretty familiar as you know with that particular dyno. Doug isn't going to pump up the numbers to make someone smile.

If you put that combo on one of the local DynoJets you'd be right about 400 or better to the wheels.

The a/f looks good at your hp peak but leans out some in the higher rpm.

Where did the timing end up at?

Sorry I missed the session.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mstngjoe on 11/2/06 8:13pm ]</font>

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe, thanks for the feedback. Doug seemed happy with the mixture at the high RPM's. I think he was good with it since it is under 14 and the time at that RPM would be minimal with my application. What is the A/R rule of thumb? If we went up 1 size on the secondary jets would we be too rich? I am happy with the very long torque and power curve for the street.

Allenman; I am going to dive into a suspension upgrade this winter. Thanks for your input, I will ping you guys if I want more HP in the future. I think a cam change would be needed. Thanks for your input. Alan

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This winter I installed FPA 1 3/4 full length headers with a Magaflow SS exhaust system. The headers were needed to fit with my new TCP R&P. These headers replaced 1 5/8 headers. The 1 5/8 headers were slightly smaller in width than the exhaust ports. There is a huge differance in seat of the pants performance. The FPA headers fit perfect with the AFR205 exhaust ports. My theory is there was exhaust reversion with the smaller headers. I will try to visit the dyno later this summer and post some new numbers. I would also like to try a larger carb. I have read that a 418 like my engine needs more carb than 780. Any thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts