Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 427 side oiler for a friend. I think he is looking for a good block to build. Anyone out there got one?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looking for a 427 side oiler for a friend. I think he is looking for a good block to build. Anyone out there got one?
I just sold one on eBay about a month ago. It was a NOS service block, steel crank, and Le Mans rods. It had never been assembled, but was not stored properly and had a little bit of rust in the bores. It went for $7200. Another NOS block sold on eBay the next week for $8800 with rods but no crank.

They are getting harder and harder to find, especially in buildable condition. I've regularly seen real rough blocks that need sleeves or repairs sell for $2k or more. There are good aftermarket options right now, but only in aluminum and they are spendy too.

What is he looking to do with the car?

I might part with one of my other blocks/engines, but I would have to think about it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Start searching craigslist. I found a marine 427 block that may need a sleeve, factory adjustable rockers, mallory dual point dist, c7ae rods and crank for $1000. These marine blocks were cast with slightly thicker cylinder walls.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Start searching craigslist. I found a marine 427 block that may need a sleeve, factory adjustable rockers, mallory dual point dist, c7ae rods and crank for $1000. These marine blocks were cast with slightly thicker cylinder walls.
There are definitely deals out there, but they are pretty hard to come by. I regularly see guys who want $6-8k for a pair of marine engines. The other problem with the marine engines is that usually the only thing that is usable is the short block. The marine 427 had heads comperable to a standard 390 head, and cast iron intakes. The other common problem is that because of being in water, fresh or salt, they are very often rusted pretty thin from the inside.

One more thing to watch for with marine specific engines. They were often cast as a side oiler, but not drilled for it as the low RPM operation didn't require the extra oiling.

Depending on how hard he is planning on running the car he can always go with a center oiler block too, and they are usually quite a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Send me a mail or to my email and I will give you my cell number. We have 42 427 engines from blocks of all kinds to compleate tunnelports ready to install and run.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Send me a mail or to my email and I will give you my cell number. We have 42 427 engines from blocks of all kinds to compleate tunnelports ready to install and run.

SOOO it was YOUUUU that scooped em all up.... ;)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
SOOO it was YOUUUU that scooped em all up.... ;)

Naaa, there are thousands still out there. Just gota be careful when you find them. Sleeved blocks, cracked blocks and people donot mind selling them to ya as they say it is near new. I sujest when buying a side oiler block find one still new in the crate it came in say over 40 years ago. We have 4 with the brown salution still on it never been taken out.I think they are around 4 grand each . Not too bad I guess being they are virgins never used.

I think a good block is kinda high myself what people ask for them but dollars one can get in all sorts of ways and perfict blocks are getting harder to find from back in the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts