Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a Ford Racing fuel injected 427 stroker and a Tremec TKX (5 speed) on a 1967 mustang convertible. I am beginning to think that this was a huge mistake. These are my issues:
1. The noise is overwhelming, my neighbors want to kill me. Any idea about what muffler arrangement to use to quiet this beast a bit?
2. The transmission makes a grinding noise in 4th and 5th gears when I take my foot off the gas. Is this normal with Tremec?
3. The car is not smooth at all. I have to rev up the engine or else it acts as if the RPMs were too low for the shift.
Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I have owned it since 72. It came with a 289/3 speed. It is gorgeous today....but I need some tips on how to tame it a little.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the tremetic should not be making noise, unless it was installed wrong.
I'd get the rear up on jacks and run the car through the gears....
what size exhaust are you running? if the noise is too much then a longer
muffler should be installed. or even two per side... 1 before the rear axle the
other closer to the bumper...
Let me say something about "back pressure" we have all heard that engines need
back pressure... (No they don't) in a recreant "engine masters" show, they did
a comparison with different types of mufflers, and straight through the engine
only varied about 3HP between all of them...
Of course you can get to restrictive
all the best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sanddoc, thank you for your reply. The exhaust is 2.5 inches. I just tracked down a "guy" who works with hot-rods, which is what this poor 67 Mustang convertible resembles today. I am seeing him Wednesday, with only one request....bring up the car's civility a bit....so that it meets me half-way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts