Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Gee I just love it when a 7 year old thread re-surfaces and ends up real interesting again!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
he sure as ell didnt like you calling him junior--

i get the impression he thinks his dad walks on water-- dosent need no dam boat --

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think ANYTHING came from the factory with tunnel port heads. I believe they were a parts option after the car was purchased. I doubt you could have gotten ahold of them without knowing someone big unless the factory recognised you as a contender in the race circuits. Maybe my history is off, but I don't think that Ford developed the true Hemi head design. I don't remember anything in the 50's from Ford with a Hemi. I do, however, recall a ton of Chrysler products with Hemi's form the early 50's.

As far as I am concerned the Tunnel Port was designed for the Side Oiler 427, which LOOKS similar to any FE, but that is where it ends. Totally different animal that a production FE anything. They were (sideoilers) an option, but good luck getting one back then, as they were in short supply from the get-go. Ask Carrol Shelby, he could not get enough of them for any amount of production of the shelby auto's. Very, very few Cobra's left the Los Angeles facility with true 427's most were 428's. Alot of 427's were transplanted later as they became available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey guys not mad or anything. just grew up on an all 427 tunnelport diet. lived it with my dad almost my whole life. seen watched and helped him build them. ben your right about the tunnelport heads being for the sideoilers. i guess i kinda got carried away. i just get frustrated when people talk about 427 fords and dont really acknowledge the tunnelport version i know that theres not very many out there. i guess im just lucky to have had the experience of dealing with them. great motor that will smoke a hemi any day. again i apologize for the rant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
and oh yah never said the tunnelport came in a factory car. what i was trying to say is people get the 427 ford low riser/medium riser/high riser/ tunnelport setups mixed up and just assume a 427 ford is just a 427 ford. there were some experimental cars that came with the true 427 tunnelport ford engine. but of course ford scrapped them because of cost effectiveness. one that comes to mind was a new thunderbolt. that would have been nice. thanks again. and take care.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I get it. I'm no racer so that's likely why I never heard of the TP 427...
In my FE rebuild book you cant help but stop and gawk at the pic of the intake ports big enough to need push rod passthoughs.

I found this add.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
301 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
This made me look at my old muscle parts book. Tunnel port 427 heads had a c8 part # at $189.50. You could get single or dual plane 2x4 intakes for $172. And the 427 medium riser heads were a whopping $55.55. The note on the single plane 1560 cfm intake is it is not recommended for the street. The dual plane 1430 cfm is streetable. Boy would I like to find out how streetable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
wish i could get those tunnelport heads for that price now. back in the 80s my dad was paying $700.00 for a set and that was going through louie unser who he new well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
there has also been some very deceived people that dont know very much about the true 427 tunnelport saying that they do not make much torque. that is just ignorant bull. the torque from a 427 tunnelport ford is unmatched unless you get into diesel engines. just alot of people that dont know what there talking about.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts