Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
ha ha! nah just kidding. i wish you could here the sound of a blown 427 tunnelport running off av gas and methanol or a blown alcohol 427 tunnelport. then you would understand the meaning of wetting your pants. thats what the mopar people do when they here one.

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Well if someone would kindly bring one over to me here, I'd be happy to listen and write a review! :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Im calling BS on the 427 TP. You may have been around 427's your whole life, but I've been around both, and I'll tell you now that a properly built BOSS 429 will destroy a 427 TP any day.

The Boss 429 made more power, it was designed specifically for the high RPM's of the Superspeedways.

Huge intake ports dont make the whole motor. You are way wrong in saying the Mopar Hemi is no threat either. You've obviuosly never been anyhere near a good running Hemi.

The 427 TP was a ban-aid fix at best. Im not knocking it for its mechanical abilities, Im telling you that it was a last ditch efort on Fords part to stay competitive with Mopar Hemi's after the 427 Cammer was banned.

Because there was no way in hell that a 427 Medium Riser was going to hang anywhere near a fire breathing Hemi Mopar!!

So Ford quickly came up with the Tunnel Port head and intake setup for the 427 block. But right away, they were already at work on the new Boss 429 Hemi engine for NASCAR.

There is no way that a Tunnel Port cylinder head can move as much air as a Boss Hemi head can....no way in hell.

And more air into and out of an engine means more power, period!!

Also, the 429 Boss did'nt need side oiling because the engineers got the standard oiling correct in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The tunnel port was a '68 race setup, actually runs pretty good, especially with extra cid. The later B9 will definitely thump it, though, street B9's were gelded, but the race engines were the real deal. Neither the TP nor the SOHC were banned by NASCAR, the SOHC was to be given a severe weight factor that would have made it uncompetitive, so Ford to NASCAR to screw off and shelved it. TP was replaced by the B9. Midrange "torque" of the TP would be a little shy of a MR, but NASCAR cars don't spend much time in the midrange, so who cares? Top end was stronger, that's where they lived. The sideoiler block is definitely an FE product, some engineering documents that have surfaced have shown that it was actually redesigned for the SOHC program, as oiling to the heads would be rerouted- actual original SOHC blocks have additional oil holes to feed the heads. All the 427 blocks got the side passages cast in- many marine blocks didn't have the side passages drilled, in fact many had a big cut machined through the casting where the passage would be drilled, for the marine mounts- so they can't be drilled. There was actually an interim block, a new-for-'65 casting that got the 4-bolt mounting flanges, but was a center-oiler, C5AE casting#

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Not to keep this going. However...
Somewhere along the line overhead cams were disallowed for some reason. If they weren't Toyota wouldn't have had to come up with an in-the-block camed engine to race.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If the TP427 what the baddest motor out there, then why the Boss429? Why isn't there an huge aftermarket following making new blocks, cranks, rods, etc? Hmmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the TP427 what the baddest motor out there, then why the Boss429? Why isn't there an huge aftermarket following making new blocks, cranks, rods, etc? Hmmm
Actually there is- not so much for the TP heads, although stuff is available for the TP's, but Genesis, Pond, and Shelby blocks, all with improvements, and in iron or aluminum, with well over 500ci potential. Rods from several places, SCAT, Eagle, Falcon, Carrillo off the top of my head, in different lengths and bearing types, cranks from SCAT in iron or steel, many strokes and rod bearing types available. The old dinosaur is far from dead- and the FE engines have a soul- and sound- that a 385-type will never have

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Got out the tape I recorded a few years back on American Muscle car. They compared 5 original factory engines rebuilt to factory specs. All had solid lifters. Here's the results:

cheby- 409/409 hp 11.25 to 1 comp ratio 2-600 Carter AFB --406 [email protected] 6000 rpm 420 lbs torque

Pontiac Super Duty- 421/405 hp 11.5 to 1 comp ratio 2-625 Carter AFB --488 [email protected] 6200 rpm 470 lbs torque @ 5000 rpm

cheby L88- 427/425 hp 12.5 to 1 comp ratio 1-850 Holley --527 [email protected] 6000 rpm 501 lbs [email protected] 5000 rpm

Ford TP - 427/425 hp 11.6 to 1 comp ratio 2-715 Holleys --637 hp @6500
rpm 554 lbs torque @5300 rpm

Chrysler Hemi- 427/425 10.25 to 1 comp ratio 2-750 Holleys -- 820 [email protected] 6700 rpm 689 lbs of torque @ 6200 rpm

Interesting to say the least, sad to say but the Hemi smoked everyone. AMCar said more comparisons were on the way but so far I haven't seen any.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Got out the tape I recorded a few years back on American Muscle car. They compared 5 original factory engines rebuilt to factory specs. All had solid lifters. Here's the results:

cheby- 409/409 hp 11.25 to 1 comp ratio 2-600 Carter AFB --406 [email protected] 6000 rpm 420 lbs torque

Pontiac Super Duty- 421/405 hp 11.5 to 1 comp ratio 2-625 Carter AFB --488 [email protected] 6200 rpm 470 lbs torque @ 5000 rpm

cheby L88- 427/425 hp 12.5 to 1 comp ratio 1-850 Holley --527 [email protected] 6000 rpm 501 lbs [email protected] 5000 rpm

Ford TP - 427/425 hp 11.6 to 1 comp ratio 2-715 Holleys --637 hp @6500
rpm 554 lbs torque @5300 rpm

Chrysler Hemi- 427/425 10.25 to 1 comp ratio 2-750 Holleys -- 820 [email protected] 6700 rpm 689 lbs of torque @ 6200 rpm

Interesting to say the least, sad to say but the Hemi smoked everyone. AMCar said more comparisons were on the way but so far I haven't seen any.
I'd really like to see what was inside that magic Chrysler engine. I'm not a Mopar guy but I'm not buying that it was factory specs. Their crate engines don't make anywhere near that much power.

426 Crate Engine Hemi Dyno Test - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The 820 hp Hemi was found out to be a fraud. Parts used were nowhere near the factory spec's. LOL! It's been discussed on the net and I read about it in of the big three car magazines. I can't remember which one.

The other combo's could be legit. I don't know.

Check out the TP cylinder head flow spec's on Stan Weiss's page.

Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water

Ported TP's at 383/256 cfm is nothing to sneeze at. Especially if you're driving a 302. :)

JMO,

paulie

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
The 820 hp Hemi was found out to be a fraud. Parts used were nowhere near the facory spec's. LOL! It's been discussed on the net and I read about it in of the big three car magazines. I can't remember which one.

The other combo's could be legit. I don't know.

Check out the TP cylinder head flow spec's on Stan Weiss's page.

Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water

Ported TP's at 383/256 cfm is nothing to sneeze at. Especially if you're driving a 302. :)

JMO

paulie
I'm 61 and if I remember correctly the hemis didn't win every race. Are you saying that someome may have "cheated"?!! surely not mopar, haha

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm 61 and if I remember correctly the hemis didn't win every race. Are you saying that someome may have "cheated"?!! surely not mopar, haha
Yeah, they flat out cheated. They didn't even cheat intelligently. If you're going to cheat you have to cheat just a little bit so it might be believable.

I'm a fan of the 426 Hemi by the way. Awesome engine. I'd love to have one.

paulie

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, they flat out cheated. They didn't even cheat intelligently. If you're going to cheat you have to cheat just a little bit so it might be believable.

I'm a fan of the 426 Hemi by the way. Awesome engine. I'd love to have one.

paulie
That's what I mean. Anyone could tell something was way off so why lie about it? 820HP isn't impressive enough if they had to use aftermarket parts? It wasn't like they were on a level playing with the Ford to begin with.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's what I mean. Anyone could tell something was way off so why lie about it? 820HP isn't impressive enough if they had to use aftermarket parts? It wasn't like they were on a level playing with the Ford to begin with.
egg-zactly. If they hadn't cheated the Hemi would still have been awesome. A 426 Hemi has more potential than the impressive Tunnel Port 427. Yet by cheating they actually hurt the Hemi's reputation rather than helping it. Dingledorfs!

JMO,

paulie

·
Registered
802 Posts
egg-zactly. If they hadn't cheated the Hemi would still have been awesome. A 426 Hemi has more potential than the impressive Tunnel Port 427. Yet by cheating they actually hurt the Hemi's reputation rather than helping it. Dingledorfs!

JMO,

paulie
Yeah, it's reputation among gearheads but most other people are pretty gullible. They tend to believe most of what they read.

I found an old thread from a couple years ago and nobody really gave a straight answer.

moparts: WATCH "THE AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR TONIGHT"@9:30PM

Why would you say the Hemi has more potential?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts