Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1966 428 engine. It is in a 7 litre convertible that I just got. I have every reason to believe it is the original engine. I was under it the other day and noticed that it had the pulley on the crank but no harmonic balancer. Anyone heard of that before, or did someone take this one off. I have not driven the car yet, but the engine starts, idles, and revs fine. Does not run hot, just a good old engine. But I thought all engines needed a balancer?? Any help here are some pictures too. After looking at these pictures I think I figured it out. Are the balancer and the pulley all in one??? If so where are the timing marks?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
It looks like the timing pointer points to the lip of the pulley, but that pulley looks to beefy to just be a pulley. If it runs smooth, why would you think it is not balanced? The 428 is not internally balanced, like the other FE engines, so if it did not have the proper flexplate and balancer I'd think it would shake pretty darn bad.

428 Rebuild Recommendations

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
what is there is the balancer ,notice the rubber insert.The timing marks are in the back edge of the pulley clean it with a wire brush

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My 428 has the same balancer. I think they all do except for the Cobra Jet and it uses a larger one.
The balance is done with the massive weights on the Flex plate or flywheel.

Scott...

·
Registered
203 Posts
My 428 has the same balancer. I think they all do except for the Cobra Jet and it uses a larger one.
The balance is done with the massive weights on the Flex plate or flywheel.

Scott...
390s and 428s are internally balanced and use the same balancer. I have a '67 428 in the basement and the pulleys enshrouds the balancer. It is key to the crank and stamped with timing marks.

On the '66 390 GT motor I had, the first pulley was actually part of the balancer, so there are some variations through the years.

The 428 SCJs are externally balanced using a much thicker balancer and have the addition of a "cookie cutter" counter balance.

So, as was already stated, the balancer is there, it's just inside of the pulleys.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
390s and 428s are internally balanced and use the same balancer. I have a '67 428 in the basement and the pulleys enshrouds the balancer. It is key to the crank and stamped with timing marks.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects
All 428s/410s (same crank)are externally balanced and require the proper flywheel or flexplate..

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Yeah, the marks are there but under all the rust. They might be on the back side of the wheel and you have to transfer the mark up to the edge for timing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I saw the balancer once I uploaded the pictures. I seem to have a eye issue up close under the car. I am glad that all of you confirmed my thoughts and no one has monkeyed with my engine. Hey puttster what do you mean under all that rust???? I think it is just patina. LOL

JIM

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
FYI, all FE's 67 and under used the design you see there, 68 and up went to a more standard design with a separate pulley.

You can swap a later balancer, you just need to swap the lower pulley to match too. Sometimes takes some hunting in the yards, but easy to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts