Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Cougar that came with S Code 390 and C6 that are long gone. I purchased a 428 CJ (1972? factory replacement block X C scratch) that has 1963 427 heads (C3AE 6090D). trying to figure out what exhaust manifold / headers are going to fit. FPA's Tri-Y maybe?

Guy I bought it from knew pretty much nothing about the engine. He bought it from a friend already built with no build sheet. It is complete from pan to intake just need a carb and exhaust would rather not disassemble it but figure I might have to in order to see what exactly is inside to match a carb to. Has Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and the previously mentioned early 63 427 heads (65cc chambers)

Also trying to decide which tranny to go with. C6 or a modified AOD?

thoughts ideas?

Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I have a 67 Cougar that came with S Code 390 and C6 that are long gone. I purchased a 428 CJ (1972? factory replacement block X C scratch) that has 1963 427 heads (C3AE 6090D). trying to figure out what exhaust manifold / headers are going to fit. FPA's Tri-Y maybe?

Guy I bought it from knew pretty much nothing about the engine. He bought it from a friend already built with no build sheet. It is complete from pan to intake just need a carb and exhaust would rather not disassemble it but figure I might have to in order to see what exactly is inside to match a carb to. Has Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and the previously mentioned early 63 427 heads (65cc chambers)

Also trying to decide which tranny to go with. C6 or a modified AOD?

thoughts ideas?

Thanks
Bill
You can use either FPA with the CJ flange, or 6114 Hookers, however, with those heads you will have to use the vertical bolt pattern and a couple bolts could be close to the shock tower if yours settled over the years. Not a big deal, but light be best to add a Mustang-style export brace and potentially a Monte Carlo brace to keep the towers in place.

Although your car would have wanted FPA 390 GT headers originally, those will not match up to the exhaust ports on a CJ or early head, which are about .230 higher from deck surface.

An AOD is always fun if you can combine it to a steep gear, but hit or miss on living behind a torquey 428, however a C6 is cheap, anyone can build them and hard to break. Not to mention they came with them. It depends how much money and time you want to spend on the swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

The FPA look nice but at $1100ish a bit steep. the 6114s look like a good deal. I should have said AODE tranny. I'm looking at the 4R70W or a C6. I'm just starting the tear down process so I'll have plenty of time to think about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bulletbirdman. They look good and its the 1st pic Ive seen of them actually installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts