Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several items that I am selling as I won't be using them any time soon and I need to pare down my inventory. These are original parts. I have them listed on e-Bay, but will sell at a discount through these forums.

Available for sale are:

Oil Cooler
Oil Cooler Filter Adapter
Power Steering Oil Cooler
428 CJ/SCJ date-matched heads

I will ship if parts are paid for (and payment has cleared) in advance. Please e-mail me at [email protected] with questions, or send your name and phone number to discuss.

Thank you,
Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
$725 +shipping for the pair. Heads came off the same motor. I'd love to hang on to them, but I need to order upholstery for my wagon.

Thanks for your interest.
Paul

Ok sounds fair if they are ruable. Alot of times they run on ebay for around 350 to 400 used that came off cars. I buy them , speed shop takes them apart, ho tank, val job and surface.Then they goto swap meets for around 1100. I need a picture and how used are they? The thumb print will tell if they been milled or not.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No milling. Looks like the valves have been replaced with stainless. I will post a couple of pictures. Date code is 8J21 on both, however one date casting requires a little squinting and imagination to confirm.

These heads are the original set that were on my Q-code Cobra, but I ended up parting it out. The motor was already disassembled prior to my purchasing it.

I also wanted to let you know that there was one other person who had responded prior to you. Out of fairness, I am offering them first shot. If they decide to pass then it is up to you.

Thanks and I will post pictures shortly.
Paul

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Date is late in the year good for a 69 motor as well. Cj heads are 6090-N raised between spark plugs as I am sure you know. I need a set for myself and not to sell so I will pay that for a good set not having to rebuild them. After I pay 400 for a set and redo them I got that in them anyways.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, they aren't going to be bolt on as they were taken off several years back, but stored well. I won't try to tell you what they are or aren't as far as condition goes. I'll let the pics speak for themselves and if you have any questions you are more than welcome to give me a call and answer best as I can.

The price is firm on them. Any less and I would rather just keep them on the shelf. So no worries if you prefer to take a pass.

Thanks,
Paul

** Okay, looks like the file upload is giving me some trouble. Please send an email to me at [email protected] and I will send photos back to you. Thanks. **

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Cj heads , price you have is fair . A set runned needs attention before bolted on another motor , I am aware of that, a nice clean up , check all and be fine. The thing is the public is funny and if you do this you can get 11 or 1200 for your heads with ease. If all looks good take them to a shop to have them cleaned, milled just enough to clean them up so they lay good on a block and replace vals, springs and so forth. People are funny and will pay more for a item if clean, ready to bolt on so they will not have to get their hands dirty, loss of know how themselves. Just trying to help ya get more than 750 my man , I know they will bring 1200 all cleaned up. But at times you can get a set for 400 if many are going through. That how I make money.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks R-Code, I appreciate the input.

The heads are in very good condition, but like you say, they should be cleaned and have a clean-up mill done on combustion and exhaust surfaces. Threads are all really nice, so no work needed there. Valves would also need to be cleaned. Only light deposits, but if you have them apart, might as well do it right.

For what its worth, I had considered cleaning them up for sale. But the machine shops are backed up and that would delay things. I would also be looking at probably $100 to have them cleaned and milled. Might get the valves cleaned in there as well for that, but I doubt it. Selling on eBay for $1100 with roughly $85 in shipping and PayPal payment would run me about $140 based on the way I set me auction up, minus the $28 I would get back for Top Rated Seller status. And $1100 is a pretty good day on a set of heads that have used valves, lapped valves (not fresh cut), and used springs that I can't verify loads or mileage.

In the end, my $1100 heads ($1185 to the buyer) net me a maximum of $888, which I still believe to be a bit ambitious. Or, selling here or on The Fairlane Club of America site, I help out someone who is a fellow club/forum member by getting their cost down to just over $800 ($900 with the same machine work) and save them $285 on an identical set of heads. And, I don't have to deal with eBay, uncertainty on the sale price, two trips to the machine shop and probably an extra 3+ weeks considering my schedule.

I sell a lot on eBay. I usually will usually clean things up before they sell which is more than a coat of paint over the old paint and dirt. Its as nice as I would do for myself, and the purchase prices and my feedback reflect that. But eBay in a word stinks. Their fee schedule is terrible and their policies toward sellers promote abuse by buyers. If you do any amount of selling there, you already kn ow that.

Sure, I probably could have squeaked a little more money out of them, but don't we all pay enough for this stuff already? I try to pay it forward when I can. And I have been the receiving end of things as well. Just yesterday I was "gifted" a low mileage set of Coker Redline tires (including a new spare) that will be my "show" set up for my Cobra when it is completed.

So selling the heads for $725 or the oil cooler and adapter for what I did was just paying it forward so we all have a little more money to spend on our cars. I know I wouldn't be nearly as far along on my projects without a little good will from others from time to time.

Anyhow, there is your very long-winded explanation of why I priced them where I did, and why I am comfortable having done so.

Now, the bad news is, the other person who expressed an interest in the heads is going to take them. I am sorry, but at least I know he is a great guy and has gone out of his way to help countless people with technical questions and parts, so they are going to a good home.

Time to get back to work!
Paul

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Main thing is you got your money. There are sets I run accross alot. No telling how many sets I ever had. I just pick them up when I run accross them , fix everything and place them on tables at swap meets. They go fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts