Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help on finding a motor swap kit to put a 428cj out of my dads 1969 mach 1 into a fox body so if anyone can help me out it would be greatly helpful.Also i heard you can use the 460 swap kit to do it but not sure on that so if anyone can help or has put a ford fe motor into a fox.
thanks J.D.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I have come up empty on the web. Did find that Canton makes an oil pan for the application.

See the bottom of this page <http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pans/road_race/ford_rear_sump.html> They might have the lead on the rest of the kit. I have not called them yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My guess would be that you could not use the 460 kit. All of the bolt patterns on the "FE" engines are different than the 385 series engines. At least with respect to motor plates. You may be able to use the fox body swap mounts but in my car that put the 460 to high in the engine compartment. I had to use the motor plates in order to gain clearance for my headers. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
everything about the FE is totally different than the 385 series engines. I doubt that much from a 460 swap kit would remotely work because of the huge differences.

A wise person once told me that any engine will fit in any car as long as you have the ambition to MAKE it fit. That means build your own mounts, crossmembers, headers, pan, front accessories, fab your own radiator stuff....all that. An FE in a FOX is something like that.

Mario428 I believe runs a 428 in a Fairmont. Maybe it was his brother, I cant' remember (age showing again). Fairmont is a FOX chassis...most everythign internchanges between that car and a Mustang. I have both a FOX Mustang and a Fairmont, we regularly have swapped parts over the years. I'm surprised he hasn't posted a reply on this subject.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my dad put a bored and stroked 460 into his 69' becauce it is his race car it already has had the front end cut off and redone and a narrowed rear end so it is just a race car nothing else.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sell the 428 and build a 460 !! 428's are bringing a premium to the restoration people.

If your hell bent on putting a 428 in to a fox, best bet would be making some motor plates. A C6 will fit in but may need to work the tunnel a little and use a double hump cross member. As for headers you may be on you own, but try talking to Bob at D&D he may be able to get you in the right direction on some quality headers. I believe Moroso makes a pan for a fox?? or you can fabricate your own.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 8/28/06 8:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
first of all you can't give me 10 460's for one fe. The weight of a 460 and c-6 with iron heads is around 920 pounds. If you use an allum. intake and heads on an fe you are down to weighing what a stock iron 351w does. If you use a 460 the first thing you have to do is throw away the rods they have a thin rod cap and by new rods. With an fe you use the fat early rods with arp bolts and your stronger than a stock cj rod.Another problem with a 460 there just is'nt a big supply of decent stock heads you can run.I run 62 model 406 heads on my fe with good flat tops on the street at 11.5 on comp. As for the question on fe in a fox body I have one 406 two fours with a c-6.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
On 2006-09-01 21:21, sbradford4 wrote:
first of all you can't give me 10 460's for one fe. The weight of a 460 and c-6 with iron heads is around 920 pounds. If you use an allum. intake and heads on an fe you are down to weighing what a stock iron 351w does. If you use a 460 the first thing you have to do is throw away the rods they have a thin rod cap and by new rods. With an fe you use the fat early rods with arp bolts and your stronger than a stock cj rod.Another problem with a 460 there just is'nt a big supply of decent stock heads you can run.I run 62 model 406 heads on my fe with good flat tops on the street at 11.5 on comp. As for the question on fe in a fox body I have one 406 two fours with a c-6.
Your livin' in the 60's man !! Bring the FE's over and we'll run for some $$........LOL You need to put your FE on a scale.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 9/7/06 4:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
I might be living in the 60's but the previous fox fe went 5.56 @ 128 in the eighth. So we'll keep running the real engines down south.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as fab. just build the headers a little engine mount mods, canton makes an oil pan now for the fox body, also use a tube k-member a ten pound hammer to the fire wall to make room for the bell housing. the e
engine mounts you need are a single stud c-mount off of a 58-59 fe. I'm almost sure its a 58. its been a while sense I put this one together.The engine really fits better than a 460 in one. With an alum intake and heads you can use a stock gt spring if you wanted to. This car has one now and sits at perfect ride heighth and drives great on the street. Depending on what k-member you use you may have to have camber plates.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
On 2006-09-08 02:36, sbradford4 wrote:
I might be living in the 60's but the previous fox fe went 5.56 @ 128 in the eighth. So we'll keep running the real engines down south.
Come up north, We wooped you once, we'll do it again.... LOL

Ain't no Stock FE 406 running that fast......... maybe 480"+ with NO2...... and some really expensive heads........LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 9/8/06 8:59pm ]</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts

Come up north, We wooped you once, we'll do it again.... LOL

i dont know what yall do up north but down south, when we do something we do it right.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
All I'm going to say is if FE's where so great they would be running them in Pro-Stock..................................Sorry to jack the thread!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i never said it was a 406 in that car it was a 427 stroker 454 cubes and it was hot! They did have there days in pro-stock my friend has an original 71 pro-stock maverick still running a cj. You did call it right on living in the 60's. I still run a 64 galaxie tipping the scales at 3880. But enough of that if 428cjmaverick needs to know how to put the fe in just contact me and i'll be glad to help. I can tell you that when i first started the install to running i pulled the engine 18 times but that includes building the driver side header witch happens to SUCK by the way you can use a stock set of 2 wheel drive fe truck headers to start with you don't really have to mod the pass. side just the engine mount needs trimmed a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts