Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was different about the 68/69 360HP version of the 429 versus the less HP versions? Is there a good website that goes through the differences?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You mean the later versions (1972/ )?

They were smog engines after 1971.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
What was different about the 68/69 360HP version of the 429 versus the less HP versions? Is there a good website that goes through the differences?
Compression mostly, after 71 compression dropped off the charts, later models also had the cam retarded

I will say this, that 360 horse motor, with nothing less than a set of headers, an intake, and a bit of cam is a very strong runner. Can't get much cheaper hp than that

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 1968-1971 429 had an advertsied hp rating of 360 gross horsepower. The real-world horsepower was around 320 hp.

In 1972, SAE hp ratings were changed from "gross" to "net" and so the numbers dropped accordingly from that alone. Additionally, the compression ratio in the 1972-up engine dropped from about 10:1 real world to about 7.5:1 real world, the camshaft timing was retarded 4 camshsft degrees (8 crankshaft degrees), etc.

(Edited for clarity - PK)

·
Registered
691 Posts
The 1968-1971 429 had an advertsied hp rating of 360 gross horsepower. The real-world horsepower was around 320 hp.

In 1972, SAE hp ratings were changed from "gross" to "net" and so the numbers dropped accordingly from that alone. Additionally, the compression ratio in the 1972-up engine dropped from about 10:1 real world to about 7.5:1 real world, the camshaft timing was retarded 8 camshsft degrees (4 crankshaft degrees), etc.
Do you mean 4 camshaft deg and 8 crankshaft deg?

·
Registered
691 Posts
your questioning a known engine builder ?

thought you were the expert retail
We are all known to make mistakes, The statement confused me, as I know who he is, and it goes against my own knowledge of the subject.

Why don't you add your knowledge here instead of pestering us with the high esteem you hold of your own knowledge.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
We are all known to make mistakes, The statement confused me, as I know who he is, and it goes against my own knowledge of the subject.

Why don't you add your knowledge here instead of pestering us with the high esteem you hold of your own knowledge.
your question is also a statement .

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Well answer up DanH, which is the correct statement? 8 cam 4 crank or 4 cam 8 crank?
And please tell me why it's those numbers that took the power away if you can put it in words I can understand.

You know I'm not a motor head, I'm a restore guy but I know motors and engines very well, I just don't understand the "why" of it.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Well answer up DanH, which is the correct statement? 8 cam 4 crank or 4 cam 8 crank?
And please tell me why it's those numbers that took the power away if you can put it in words I can understand.

You know I'm not a motor head, I'm a restore guy but I know motors and engines very well, I just don't understand the "why" of it.
to much typing for me , for the detail

add . FE , your asking for something I didn't claim to know .

my post was redtail questioning a members knowledge

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Compression mostly, after 71 compression dropped off the charts, later models also had the cam retarded

I will say this, that 360 horse motor, with nothing less than a set of headers, an intake, and a bit of cam is a very strong runner. Can't get much cheaper hp than that
+1....I had a 69 429 2V thunderjet..I added a stock 4V intake,750 holley and a set of headers and that motor rocked!...One of my all time favourites..

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I had the 4V version in a 69 Bird. It kept bending push rods. Was a very poor lad back then so I would just hammer them back as straight as I could. Ran strong though until the tranny gave up.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I had the 4V version in a 69 Bird. It kept bending push rods. Was a very poor lad back then so I would just hammer them back as straight as I could. Ran strong though until the tranny gave up.
work harden them p/r's with that hammer .

now say you never beat on it once . lol

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replys, I think my question was answered. You guys can keep discussing the retard cam versus crank if you want, I am too dumb to know about that kind of stuff.

Don

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I am missing the :bicker: 'cause I have DanH on :D !!! IGNORE !!! :D ...

Simply put, the 1968/1971 Passenger Car/CJ/Police 4V 429/460 were healthy and that all changed in 1972 (Fed Emission Regulations).

1973 was a little better but not by much.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I am missing the :bicker: 'cause I have DanH on :D !!! IGNORE !!! :D ...

Simply put, the 1968/1971 Passenger Car/CJ/Police 4V 429/460 were healthy and that all changed in 1972 (Fed Emission Regulations).

1973 was a little better but not by much.
welcoming back the truie old KLUTZ.
.what your missing klutz is understanging who and what you truely are

KLUTZ , your just repeating whats already been said

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you mean 4 camshaft deg and 8 crankshaft deg?
My earlier post in this thread has some ambiguity. Sorry about that I type my posts fast, rarely proof-read them, and move on.

The cam timing on the 1972-up engines is retarded 8 degrees as measured at the crankshaft. Incidentally, most 3-keyway crankshaft gears will be marked -4*, 0*, and +4* so as to refer to camshaft phasing relative to the camshaft rather than the crankshaft.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The retarded cam timing is included in a different cam gear issued for the 1973 model run to successfully use EGR. The 1972 used open chamber heads and a lower CR. FORD screwed up there and it was a one year only thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The retarded cam timing is included in a different cam gear issued for the 1973 model run to successfully use EGR.
Correction: The retarded camshaft for 1972 & up carburetted engines is addressed at the crankshaft gear, not the camshaft gear.

:)

Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts