Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a supposed 429 2 years ago and picked it up today now my question is, is it a actual 429? Here's all the info I can give
Dove a block has 460 stamped to the right of the timing chain cover and A stamped under the cylinder head
Dove c heads
Crank from what I can see is stamped 4u and from what I read so far that means it's a 429 but why is 460 stamped on the block? And is it a 429?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Whatever is stamped, the crank is a 4U, making it a 429. There were many weird practices on the production line, and it's had 30+ years to be changed besides. The bottom-line is it's a 429 now. Have fun with it!
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
The reason is that the 460 was the engine they had in mind to power big Lincoln Mercuries. But NASCRAD was a 7 liter rule, so the 429 was born and the Boss 429.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I confirmed it this morning when I pulled the pistons and they had 429 stamped on them. I wanna make a stroker with it but I'm not sure what numbers I wanna make with it and what it'll be going in I'm up in the air about a foxbody or 77-79 250 or f100

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
... I'm up in the air about a foxbody or 77-79 250 or f100
Well, the build for each of those would be different, so push it into the corner until you get that part settled. And, it really doesn't matter if it's a 429 or 460 if you're stroking it anyway. Welcome to the forums.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
251 Posts
The 429 is a somewhat rare engine. I don't understand why you would tear it apart to build a stroker when 460s are a dime a dozen. To each his own though. If you don't want the 429 internals shoot me a PM and maybe we could work something out. I have several 460 around, maybe I'll buck the trend and destroke one.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
my memory sucks anymore, but i'll add my 2 cents worth...

crank and pistons were the only major difference in the 429/460...the '385' engine series denoted the 460s 3.85 stroke, vs the 3.59 429...pin heights were shifted up on the 460, both ran the same 4.360 bore.

a bit of trivia- the only two engines over 400 CID to have a rod/stroke ratio over 1.8:1 were the 429 ford and the 426 hemi... bigblocks built to run at redline all day long, with low sideloads...

I read Police/cj/scj supposedly had wristpins offset .060 to straighten the rod a little more on the powerstroke- think this is common today, but was kinda unusual back then- service/replacement pistons were straight up.

the stock smooth cam in a early high compression (10.5~11:1 stock) 429 delivered 480 lb-ft at low rpm, a decent 360 hp... to this day, that was the strongest feeling motor Ive ever had, and it would rev like a smallblock. a buddy built a 455 olds that was way more torky (bet it was ~600?) but it ran out of breath at around 5k and he broke it there anyways...i'll stick with my Ford :)

folks often call the 70 blocks 'dove', but its d0ve, denoting 1970 design casting...D3=73, C8=69... as I understand it, the C8VE castings were about the same as the D0, often an be found a lot cheaper as everyone looks for the 'dove' heads :) both are very high compression unless you go dished...the D3 heads were open chambered I believe...

lastly, lots of folks didnt realize the 370 truck motor from the 90s was a 429 stroke/small bore variant of the old Lima motor... Ive been trying to find out if by chance the 370 industrial ones mighta had a forged crank, never heard for sure- nor if 3"/2.5" bearings carried over...thougt I'd mention, as external crap can fit- if you need a different water pump/accessory mount, might look for the 370 powered semis in the boneyards to see what they have to offer...

right or wrong, mines staying seven litres if it ever gets put back together... dreaming of a set of Kaase's BOSS9 boss429/kinda hemi heads...even if the ports are sized for 600 inches and it loses torque, those heads look soooo cool....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts