Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up this bad old boy on eBay:

It ain't light at 65 lbs. I was reading on another forum, however, that it should bolt right up to the 460 Lincoln heads, and even with some port mismatch it will still pull more than the Edelbrock Performer intake. Any suggestions?

Of course my Holley isn't going to work, so I'm thinking of flirting with Quadrajunk for a while. I have an Eldorado with a 425 Cadillac motor,too, and even though that car is much slower, I always liked the throttle response of the QJets. But that car runs on 87 octane, so dicussing gas mileage is probably moot. What about the Motorcraft carb? I have an old spreadbore I could use, too. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They done dyno testing in the 80s and after port matching they didnt pickup one hp. If you do just taper the opening. dont make them bigger down port. A ThermoQuad works best in oppinion. They all are over 800 cfm. in boats the cobra motor used that intake just bolted to d3 heads and worked well.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
If you look around you might be able to find one of the old Holley 800cfm spreadbore carbs. Good carb and makes good HP on a CJ.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ford found something like 28 extra hp with that intake on the 460 Marine engines, and so the Holley square bore version was used on all 460 Marine builds. The bigger question is whether it's the correct choice for your engine/vehicle application; just because it produces more horsepower in a given engine combo doesn't neccessarily mean it won't slow your car down at the track, for example.

Paul

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have an old magazine with a 460 intake shootout..They didn't test the CJ intake but the performer intake did very well..In fact it had the most average power of all the units tested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts