Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask a question that has been probably asked a million times but here we go. I am opening up the ex. ports on a set of C8VE-E heads and am wondering about the lump on the opposite side of the port , across from the head bolt side. I know you can grind the head bolt side flat but what about the other side? That looks to stick out quite a bit I have never heard anything ever said about that side of the port. Also should you use ex. manifold gaskets or header gaskets to match the port openings? Or doesn't it matter? This rookie will appreciate any info anybody can provide. Thanks, JD

·
Registered
206 Posts
The head bolt area you speak of can be "flattened",but be careful as you can grind into the head bolt passage,which would not be a problem with open headers,the oppisite side retains the exhaust bolt boss,try to make it a smooth transition towards the port opening instead of grinding it "flat",also keep in mind that the water passages are always close by.Yes,use the exhaust gasket related to the head and keep within the boundries of the gasket.Do the bowl work,smooth the short side radius,and taper the roof in conjunction with the guide as it leaves the port.Make the roof of the port your priority in the port area.Leave the floor of the port from the port opening back into the port about 2 inches or so as is,this is pretty much a "dead area".ALWAYS keep in mind that the inconsistencies of the castings water passages are and can be a PROBLEM.Be conservative when grinding..Happy motoring..Livermore Dave.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Livermore Dave on 1/13/02 7:21pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Livermore Dave on 1/13/02 7:26pm ]</font>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts