Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an 84 f150 flareside with a 1970 429 stuffed in it, basically an unfinished project for real cheap, the engine is in pretty decent shape the more I've pulled it apart. It came with a performer intake and an old crane 272 cam installed and probably run for a while and a 750 edelbrock. I pulled the heads and almost found no ring ridge, and the head gaskets looked like old stock Ford head gaskets.

I was looking at the pistons a bit closer and I can't help but think they have way to big of a dish for a high compression 1970 engine, even with the d0ve heads. The dish is oval shaped, and goes a hair over 3/16 deep into the pistons. I know thunder jet engines typically had an oval dish, but the ones I've seen before didn't appear to go nearly this deep?

Could it be a 429 2 barrel engine maybe? Or did I come across some weird forgotten 429?

·
Registered
578 Posts
So I picked up an 84 f150 flareside with a 1970 429 stuffed in it, basically an unfinished project for real cheap, the engine is in pretty decent shape the more I've pulled it apart. It came with a performer intake and an old crane 272 cam installed and probably run for a while and a 750 edelbrock. I pulled the heads and almost found no ring ridge, and the head gaskets looked like old stock Ford head gaskets.

I was looking at the pistons a bit closer and I can't help but think they have way to big of a dish for a high compression 1970 engine, even with the d0ve heads. The dish is oval shaped, and goes a hair over 3/16 deep into the pistons. I know thunder jet engines typically had an oval dish, but the ones I've seen before didn't appear to go nearly this deep?

Could it be a 429 2 barrel engine maybe? Or did I come across some weird forgotten 429?
It sounds like you have a 1971 or later 429 with a set of early heads!

·
Registered
483 Posts

The early heads ( DOVE-C or D1VE) have 72-75cc chambers and a flat top piston would be around 11-1 in a 429. Yours should be around 10-1 or slightly less. Fine for today's gas IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts