Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I've been lurking on these pages for awhile, even though I'm a Fe Fairlane guy. So to the point, if I can. I recently aqquired a 1971 429 scj standard bore, 4 bolt main short block. (Non Boss #1 bulkhead) It's casting date indicates Oct '71, Mustang, Atlanta. It's my understanding that very few were built, and I suspect someone's Mustang restoration would need this. I don't want to hot rod this assembly, it needs to go to a propper home! Problem: Where do I find a contact who "knows" what this is and can point me in the right direction? Hope you guys might be able to help!

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
I would check the partial VIN stamped on the left-rear of the block to confirm the year, plant, Ford or Mercury, and serial. The stampings were required by law as-of 1968. At least you can confirm it is at all what you think it is before someone calls you on it. Post a clear photo (like the one below) if you can, and we can try a limited decode of it.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The numbers on the rear of the engine, below where the passenger head would be is 1A150142. Seems to be missing a digit, but there's no sign of a light strike or grinding. On the front, 0K23Z or OK23Z, a DIF next to the oil pressure sender. No CJ cast in the valley, but DOVE-A on the side. I'll try and post pictures again later, but it seems I'm lousy at that. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
1A150142 — Your number decodes to (1) 1971, assembled in the vehicle at the (A) Atlanta Assembly plant in Hapeville, Georgia. This plant assembled many vehicle lines from 1947 to 2006, including the Mustang that year. The line was (1) Ford, not a "5" for Mercury. The vehicle serial (50142) may be researched through various sources such as Marti, in order to determine the specific engine version and other options installed on that vehicle for specific engine versions. So, we cannot determine directly that the engine was originally a true SCJ (or other version) from this number set, but can lead you to that info if desired or required.

TL;DR — We can determine that it was 1971, likely a Mustang, a 429 c.i. engine of unknown version, and assume the rest with limited confidence or track it down to the exact vehicle records by serial 50142. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
1A150142 — Your number decodes to (1) 1971, assembled in the vehicle at the (A) Atlanta Assembly plant in Hapeville, Georgia. This plant assembled many vehicle lines from 1947 to 2006, including the Mustang that year. The line was (1) Ford, not a "5" for Mercury. The vehicle serial (50142) may be researched through various sources such as Marti, in order to determine the specific engine version and other options installed on that vehicle for specific engine versions. So, we cannot determine directly that the engine was originally a true SCJ (or other version) from this number set, but can lead you to that info if desired or required.

TL;DR — We can determine that it was 1971, likely a Mustang, a 429 c.i. engine of unknown version, and assume the rest with limited confidence or track it down to the exact vehicle records by serial 50142. Hope that helps.
They did put them in 71 Torino Cobras also. I had one that was a 429CJ and it had the 4 bolt block. Later ones did as they used them up to get rid of them. They even put 3, I believe in Ram Air station wagons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts