Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for specs on a 429 motor. The casting numbers on the heads are D2VE-AA. I was curious in the specs of the heads and engine. I don't have the engine casting numbers on hand but it is all original. I am thinking about buy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 3/7/02 9:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if memory serves me correctly, the D2VE heads are open-chambered heads that were used for only 2 years, I think they're like 95cc chambers. Not sure about performance potential on those heads, though. As far as the rest of the motor is concerned, it's probably mostly the same as any other 429-460.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The D2VE heads are a one year bandaid until Ford got the D3VE head chambers up in size without making an open chamber. Ford needed to drop compression for '72 and only had time to give a full bore diameter chamber with what is basically a D0VE casting without the quench. In '73, they got the chambers larger by bringing the valves up higher in the chamber which raises the chamber roof for the added volume while having a quench pad. D2VEs are the worst 429/460 heads made and will cause detonation in even low compression engines much like the 400 and 2V 351C. Pass on the heads and get the short block. The block will be a D1VE casting which is thick walled and can take well over .080" overbore. Crank is good but '76 and later 429/460 rods are like the CJs but earlier than '76 will have the weak square cut rod bolt pad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts