Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time in the garage with a buddy on Sunday test-fitting engine and trans to my '67 Mercury Commuter wagon using 1969 Thunderbird 429 motor mounts.

Here are a few observations:

- T-Bird frame mounts are taller, but the lower bolt holes line up with the existing holes in the frame.
- The contour of the mounts follows the contour of the frame.
- Installing the mounts in the existing holes allows the block to drop right into place.
- The block looks to sit a little high and tilt to the back, however lifting the tailshaft of the trans seems to correct for that.
- Trans cross member lines up with existing frame mounts.

The front end is off the car right now, and the rear is sitting low, so it is hard to judge the angles exactly. But best guess from what
i could see looks pretty good. I'll post more pics once I am at a point where I am ready to install.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That sounds consistent with others experience. The 385 blocks are 2 1/2 inches longer so don't forget to check the radiator clearance. I had to install electric fans and do away with the water pump fan.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback and heads up on the radiator. I thought that would be a possibility. The tolerances all look great, including around the oil pan (not pictured) even after I repair where the lead edge of the cross member has been "clearanced."

I will only be running a Performer intake and don't expect any issues with the hood. Hopefully everything tucks right into place.

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where did you get the mounts? I want to do the same thing with my 68 galaxie but I've been looking all over with no luck so far.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you get the mounts? I want to do the same thing with my 68 galaxie but I've been looking all over with no luck so far.
If you have been searching for T-Bird mounts, you may never find them. But, if you go looking for T-Birds, or 429s you might find your searches to be more fruitful. I found mine by using the following searches on eBay:

(1969,69) (t-bird,tbird,thunderbird) (429,460)
(parts,parting) (t-bird,tbird,thunderbird)
(429,460) (motor,engine) mounts -truck -4x4

Feel free to add your own negative terms to weed out the trash results, and be certain to search descriptions as well as titles.

Good luck!
Paul

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Call Desert Valley Auto Parts, they had the mounts last time I called.

·
Registered
185 Posts
in my 1965 I installed a 460 and used the factory 1976 thunderbird mounts. I did make my own adapter to get the angle right and to get the engine as low as possible to keep it all under the hood. it was a good bit of work , trying to keep the c6 in the tunnel with clearance all around, making sure the starter motor would be clear of the cross member, making sure the front sump oil pan had enough clearance to handle torque and not rub on anything and yes the radiator. the angle of the 460 once in was tipped down in the rear maybe 5 degrees so the fan ( stock declutching fan ) did not run parallel to the 4 core alluminum radiator. although mine has not overheated once I have every intention of going to electric fan setup. I feel doing the parades the electric fan keeps the engine in the right heat range vs a fan blade at idle rpms.. if you think about it.. it's also nicer having a fan that is already in a shroud instead of a menacing direct drive or clutching fan blade spinning around while you make distrib timing adjustments and such.. just tossing out ideas.. keep us posted. pictures... gotta lovem

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered a set of insulators from Green Sales in Ohio yesterday. They had one NOS and one aftermarket. $45 each.

They are the same as used on the 429 Mustangs and Boss 429, so be sure to check you prices wherever you get them. I was quoted $145 per side from the Lincoln Mercury Old Parts Store, and there are a set on eBay right now with a starting bid of $222.

By the way, I am going to be adding a spacer block under the tail of the trans to lift it about an inch or so. I will also be clearancing the ribs on the top of the trans to avoid any trans-to-firewall issues. This should get the motor sitting pretty level, but I will have a better idea once I have a front end on the car again and the car is sitting level.

Paul

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If by insulators you mean the motor mounts that bolt to the block, I thought they were available from all the big box parts stores.

I also ground the ribs down, to save you some time all you have to grind down are the tops of the ribs that would be closer to the firewall. The lower part of the ribs don't need to be ground down.

I don't recall if I had to space up the tail shaft, I will have to look next time I am under the car.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I thought there was a difference in the frame stands between 68 and 69 Tbirds, don't remember now. But I used 68 parts and don't recall the engine being tilted and didn't use any spacer on transmisson. The parts I used were all factory and from the bone yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts