Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a real newbie out here in my patrol area who bought and daily drives a 72 Tbird with the 429. He is leaking coolant behind the timing chain cover and his water pump sounds like he is sawing rocks. Anyway, we go to order a gasket set and it says "with or without sleeve". Why would a certain engine from a certain year have two different type of gasket sets? Why would the harmonic balancer sleeve be or not be there with the same engine. Is this just auto zone suckin'?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I think they are talkin about a speedy sleeve.

It's used to repair the balancer if it has a seal groove
worn in it.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, after I posted, I talked to another friend that is more learned in this and he cleared me up. Yeah, it's like a band aid huh. I took on more than I can chew trying to help this guy with my knowlege (or lack of) an time (or lack of). So far, I'm not real happy with the engineering of the 385 series engines. I mean, a water jacket going through the timing chain cover? What is up with that? Just another place to leak that you cant really get to easily.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-03-19 11:56, v8shadow wrote:
You know, after I posted, I talked to another friend that is more learned in this and he cleared me up. Yeah, it's like a band aid huh. I took on more than I can chew trying to help this guy with my knowlege (or lack of) an time (or lack of). So far, I'm not real happy with the engineering of the 385 series engines. I mean, a water jacket going through the timing chain cover? What is up with that? Just another place to leak that you cant really get to easily.
Pssssst. 351W..... Hello....

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Ford and Mopar have both used it for years on millions of engines with no problems. I like it better then some piece of sheet steel that leaks all the time. There's several gaskets that are made because of different years of the engines. The sleeve is something they got from the Chevy morons trying to keep their dampers from leaking. Or maybe keep it on since there's no bolt there to hold it on. My favorite is the no thrust plate on the cam. Real smart Chevy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts