Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum yet an old guy to the ford muscle car group.
My question involves a 1972 Ford Thunderbird with a 429 motor that I have access to. Is this block the same that came out in the 1970 Mach 1 mustang? I am wanting a true 429 to transplant in my Stang.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The 429 was only in the 69 and 70 Boss 429 Mustangs.
The shock towers were cut to fit the engine.
The Boss 429 is not at all like a "regular" 429.

A 1970 Mach 1 would have either a 390 or the 428 engine if it's s big block car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 429 was only in the 69 and 70 Boss 429 Mustangs.
The shock towers were cut to fit the engine.
The Boss 429 is not at all like a "regular" 429.

A 1970 Mach 1 would have either a 390 or the 428 engine if it's s big block car.
Thank you very much for the information.
No where near the same block. Except in bore and stroke specs. Everything else is different.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok, let's talk turkey. Do you have the whole car or just the engine?
If so you might think of rebuilding the 429 to a 460 (new crank and pistons) and beef up the C-6. When you said "true" 429 were you refering to a Boss 429 or standard 429 engine? They did put the Boss 429 in 70 stangs. Do you have the Stang now and if so what is in it now?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Crites restorations offers a conversion "kit" to put the 429/460 in a '67-70 Mustang. It IS tighter than an FE but "can" be done without cutting. Many suggest using the "shock tower" kit the also sell for additional clearance. Lots of guys here in So Cal have done the swap. I am doing a similar swap to a '67 Fairlane.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crites restorations offers a conversion "kit" to put the 429/460 in a '67-70 Mustang. It IS tighter than an FE but "can" be done without cutting. Many suggest using the "shock tower" kit the also sell for additional clearance. Lots of guys here in So Cal have done the swap. I am doing a similar swap to a '67 Fairlane.
I used Crites' mounts and headers installing a 460 in my '69 Fairlane. I shaved the towers on my own but highly recommend you do the same or use Crites' kit. The extra couple of inches clearance makes a great difference in changing plugs!

·
Registered
149 Posts
if i was you build that up as a 460 still cost about the same.... allot lol i built mine as a 545 871 blower with dual fuel injection but here is the thing the rotating assembly from cleg engine flex plate crank rods pistons pins keepers gaskets rings bearings everything around 1600 bucks mine runs great 65 psi oil pressure hot at idle definity build it as a 460 or bigger

·
Registered
603 Posts
+1 I was going to do a 521 but a 545 is the same money so why not? 600 hp EASY.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
460 is indeed tight in a 67-70 Mustang, and sits sort of tall too. I have considered doing mine as a big inch Boss for years, but wouldn't do it without eliminating shock towers. Easy way to make big horsepower though!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used a Crites motor mount kit and headers. I also notched the shock towers just for the extra clearance. What ever you do, do a mock up and take lots of pictures and notes before you start working on either the car or engine rebuild. Especially body work after seeing what needs to be done. as for setting high, all Fords, except trucks, have low hood clearance, that was the reason for those very low intake manifolds that sucked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I used a Crites motor mount kit and headers. I also notched the shock towers just for the extra clearance. What ever you do, do a mock up and take lots of pictures and notes before you start working on either the car or engine rebuild. Especially body work after seeing what needs to be done. as for setting high, all Fords, except trucks, have low hood clearance, that was the reason for those very low intake manifolds that sucked.
Always best to hear from a guy who did it. I was talking crank centerline in terms of height, not intake clearance. Do you know if your Crites kit kept the crank centerline and angle at stock locations? The only one I ever worked on had the angles sort of wonky, and the engine up about an inch but not sure if it was a kit or home made, it just came in for help

·
Registered
477 Posts
Didn't think to take those measurements before I pulled the 302. But looking back at pictures I have and other engines, it can't be far off. What I have found is that the centerline is usually either 1" above or right at the lower radiator cross brace. I didn't take measurements with the 302 still in it. My bag.
Big issue I've seen is deep sump oilpans and front sway bars.
My Cat is having the body redone right now, but I'm to pick it up before turkey day. After that I'll be putting her back together so I will be taking measurements then. If you can wait. I'm using Crites headers, so I will be taking measurements and pictures. Another thing that Crites does mention in their instructions is to lower the frame cross brace. So I'll be looking at that also.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts