Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All,

Update from previous initial break in dyno run below:
Here's what we changed: went from LSM 55mm Cam net lift 744/742" 282/[email protected] .50" 114 lobe sep -- to a Comp Cam Net lift 724/724, 271/[email protected]" 110 lobe sep
Fuel: We sent out Holley XP 950 E-85 Carburetor to Kevin @ CSU and he worked his magic on it.

The cam changed help make more usable power as this motor will be ran NA most of it's life and will occasionally see NOS; hence the cam change from an aggressive NOS 1st cam to a cam that makes more power NA. Hope you guys enjoy and subscribe to the channel as we swap this into my 68 Falcon. 馃尳馃尳

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initial Dyno Post:
I made a post about a year ago with the specs of a 430W build with the following specs:
Trick-flow 225 R-Series head from Total Engine Airflow (they flow 356 CFM @700 lift intake - 282 @ 700 ex) running Victory 1 Ti intake valve 2.08, Ferrea Stainless steel ex valve 1.6. ?? I currently have a set going on a 430W 13:1 CR and port matched Super Victor Holley 950 XP E-85. Dart Iron Eagle block Lunati Signature series crank, Oliver billet I-beam rods (Speedway series), Diamond pistons, 55mm roller cam journal custom cam specs (744/742 lift - [email protected] 282/296 114 lobe sep) from LSM. .904 Isky EZ Roll Max bushed lifter, T&D Shaft mount rockers. Will spray a 250 wet shot of NOS on top. Hoping for 750 on motor and close to 1K on the juice.

A couple weeks ago I had the motor dyno'd and we have some preliminary numbers. The motor isn't final, but we're happy with the results so far. I have a YouTube channel that I'm posting vids on. If you like what you see please share and subscribe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other notable videos on the channel:

Ford Falcon 430 Windsor
CSM Racing Engines
430 Windsor Dyno pt.1

Registered
Pretty decent run--there definitely should be more in it (if the heads aren't aren't approaching their limits.) I've ran similar with the same intake and cfm carb with 11.2 compression on convenience store pump 93 octane using larger steel valved Vic Sr heads. Mine was a purpose built motor for the drag strip with some street duty. It was a little peaky but still ran decent on the street with a manual transmission and 4.56 gears.

I'd suggest going with a custom cam (from someone like Bullet) when you have solidified your build.

Good Job!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty decent run--there definitely should be more in it (if the heads aren't aren't approaching their limits.) I've ran similar with the same intake and cfm carb with 11.2 compression on convenience store pump 93 octane using larger steel valved Vic Sr heads. Mine was a purpose built motor for the drag strip with some street duty. It was a little peaky but still ran decent on the street with a manual transmission and 4.56 gears.

I'd suggest going with a custom cam (from someone like Bullet) when you have solidified your build.

Good Job!
Thanks Dennis112,

So yeah the 1st Cam in video #1 we ran a custom grind 55mm unit from LSM with an out of the box Holley XP950 E-85 Carb.馃尳馃尳 The XP 950 was no where near where it needed to be for the motor to run on initial dyno. It ran lean and they could not get enough fuel to it (while changing different size jets etc.). Keep in mind that the LSM cam was a 282/[email protected]'.50 with a 114 Lobe sep and net lift of 744/742. The LSM unit had so much split duration that it was bleeding off cylinder press... meaning we were losing horsepower coupled with it was so large the carb wasn't receiving a signal on the dyno. The LSM cam would have been great for a heavy Nitrous motor, but since I will only spray on occasions, it was better to swap to a cam that makes more power NA. (since that's the majority of time where the engine will live).

We sent out the Carburetor to Kevin at CSU and he got that thing dialed in. Worked flawlessly on the dyno with pump E-85. As for the cam; the engine builder talked to LSM, Bullet and his guy at Comp and due to time constraints Comp was the only vendor that had 55mm cores readily available (even that took 1 month). All 3 cam manufacturers agreed that 271/281 @ .50" tightening up the split in duration while lowering lobe sep to a 110* would make more power and torque down low. Net lift came in at 724/724.

The Trickflow Twisted Wedge 225R's from TEA flowed at 356" @ 700" intake and 282 @ 700" exhaust were the limiting factor we believe. Not to mention the motor was built for big NOS with H-13 tool steel pins and Oliver Speedway series rod and a heavy ring pack likely added to some rotational mass losses, but at least the motor will hold together for a long time. TEA offers a 235 Twisted Wedge R, but I bought these off a guy who went a different direction so I got them brand new for a decent price. The only other place I can think of that puts some good work to these heads are Fox Lake (now closed) TEA, and ZSR. Most ppl on the 9.5 deck FB groups have moved on or prefer the TFS High Ports as they come in 240cc and 250cc runners.

In the future I'd love to get my hands on a set of Brodix Head Hunters which I hear can flow around 400 CFM at 800" and are a 300cc intake runner. I'd like to see if I can do a Windsor that makes 2 HP per Cubic inch.

Cheers,馃嵒馃嵒

Reactions: dennis112
1 - 3 of 3 Posts