Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago.....20+...I remember a cost reasonable stroker article in either car craft or hotrod magazine about a 500ci 460 build, now it wasn't a race only engine, this was streetable, being brand new to FM and this forum, does FM have any articles in their archives about such a build? I've seen the 460 build and the 4 digit horsepower build, but not what I'm looking for. The article was a cost effective buildup, using chevy connecting rods or maybe mopar after stroking the crank, this was an example of how the whole article shows cost effective build versus buying big dollar already stroked racing crank and other items, any help appreciated either finding an article whithin FM or elsewhere.
Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
These days you can buy actual stroker cranks and rods for less than buying and modifying off brand oe parts. Just about everyone sells cheap 514 kits for the 460. Put a set of factory ported heads on it and a good cam/intake. cheap headers to fit your car and a 850-950 cfm holley. You will be streetable and have more power than 99.5% of the cars out there.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I think you're talking about the one Car Craft did back around 1989. They but it in a white Fairmont. Only problem was you had Chevy fans working on a Ford and it only made 365 HP according to them. Was slow in the quarter mile to. Had a the good parts back then and still even now. Currie 9" with 3.50 gears, beefed C-6 and stroker 514. I think they were afraid if the "cat got out of the bag" how this was a screaming street machine even with a stock 460 all the Chevy "boys" would start buying Fords.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts