Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is installing a 460 c-6 in his 67 cougar. We got it all installed only to find out that the motor won't turn over. We took the motor out and the trans off and the motor spins free. I think it was the converter not seated all the way, however I notice that there is no spacer on the flexplate. On all the other motors I have pulled there was a ring that went on the transmission side of the flexplate that was about an 1/16 inch where all the flexplate bolts went throught it, then through the flexplate and into the crank. What is this for? does an 85 460 need it? and finally will not having one mess something up to where it wont let the motor turn?
Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
not a spacer. just adds support to center of plate, if its what i think it is. was discontinued in later years. if its on trans side and goes under flexplate bolts, its not spacing anything except the flex bolts. just a flat circle with bolt holes in it, right?
does the motor spin free with the flexplate bolted up? if not, maybe flex bolts you are using are too long?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 7/25/06 2:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
This is called a load spreader ring and like igo 1090 says it doesn't space anything but the flexplate will crack around the bolt holes if it is not used...I don't know about later model engines not using it?Maybe they beefed up the newer flexplates in that area?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Most likely don't need it in the 85 motor. when you bolt the tranny back on make sure after the tranny is bolted on you can spin (or at least move) the tq converter. If you can then you can bolt the converter up, If not .. the converter is not in the tranny pump right. back out the tranny bolts and move and push on the converter and try to get it to push back into the tranny pump right..
good luck
Tim

·
Registered
502 Posts
at some point i think they were discontinued. i know neither my '88 7.5 or my '89 5.8 had the rings on their flexplates. they had not been apart previously.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Most likely, the converter was not seated fully in the trans. Common mistake if it is not checked.

Also, there were two convertor pilot sizes that the 429/460 engines used.

If you are using a converter from an FE, or an early 429/460 with the 1.848" pilot in the later model crank with a 1.375 pilot hole, that's going to cause trouble as well.

Greg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I first installed my newly rebuilt 351w and c4. Both would spin free when apart, all mated up properly when assembled, but no go. Guess what? I had put an after market flex plate in which had a thicker starter ring. When I pulled the starter, no more bind. A few seconds with a die grinder on the starter housing and BINGO!, no more bind!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts