Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a stock 77 460 with stock D3VE heads we are building to sell and was wondering how big a cam can we put in and NOT do any work to the heads besides a little porting? I was thinking a 275deh?Thanks for any help in advance..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iam not just selling the motor .. We are puting it in a 64 custom that is for sale .. Just pumping up the 460 a little before I put it in.. Cam,intake,carb, old style timing chain, and a set of headers,, mild build but looking for a little thump thump..

·
Registered
674 Posts
.515 intake is about all unless you notch the pistons a bit. I run a Comp XE262H-10. Guessing you have reverse dome pistons. Heads are almost fully ported. Exh needs the most work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like the 275DEH it's listed as .515 of lift... I just don't want to do any work to the heads and stuff.. Iam also looking at the 268H it's listed at .494....just looked at the XE 262H it might be the one with .513,,should have no clearance issues I think.

·
Registered
674 Posts
One thing dont remember off the top of my head is at what lift some needs to be machined off the top of the guide for clearance. I did it automaticly for the PC valve seals.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like the 275DEH it's listed as .515 of lift... I just don't want to do any work to the heads and stuff.. Iam also looking at the 268H it's listed at .494....just looked at the XE 262H it might be the one with .513,,should have no clearance issues I think.
The 275DEH is way too much camshaft for an otherwise bone stock 1977 460. Further, the exhaust lobe will provide 0.541" lift at the valve which risks retainer-to-guide interference and could damage the valve train. Since you said that you don't want to execute any valve train mods, your camshaft choices are somewhat limited beyond a stock camshaft. The XE262H is a lot of cam for an otherwise OEM engine as well; low end power will suffer. The 268H is an archaic grind and, frankly, not great for the engine and its appplication.

If you are going to blowl blend the intake bowls, the exhaust bowls, and port the exhaust ports, and also replace the pistons with 1988-1992 shallow dish pistons (~9.5:1 compression rartio with D3VE heads), then go with the 265DEH. If you are keeping the cavernous-dished OEM 1977 pistons then go with the 255DEH. Whichever of those two camshafts you select, note that they are supposed to be installed on a 106* intake centerline and therefore the camshaft should be properly phased during installation--simply using a 3-keyway double roller chain ain't gonna cut it since many of the double roller chains are broached to the 1972-up late OEM crankshaft gear specs anyway and so if the valve timing events are late the engine power will be lower than expected.

Paul

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, I got the performer 460 intake today to add to the part pile with the comp mag roller (69-71) edelbrock 650 carb,Sanderson headers..I was trying to build this motor for as little cash as possible cus I got to many projects going right now BUT that's not my speed so I guess its time for some head work!! Cus I like the 275DEH

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What work to the heads will it take to run the 275DEH? I read that some guys get by with the retainer to guide clearance without any work With that cam

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys I went with a Lunati Voodoo 250/256 lift is .503 in207 ex213 ... What u think will it work?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts