Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71' 460 from the numbers ive gotten off the block, that has been bored .30 over and has the D3VE-A2A heads that is suppose to have big valve springs already on them. Havent had time to really check things out so goin by what the seller told me. It is for sure bored and has had a bigger than stock cam in it ( i have the cam but not usable surface rust and not sure what size #3444 35-47-94). The pistons are the center dished type with the oblong dish in the center. My question is this...if it has the big springs already on the heads would it be possible to use a Comp Cams Magnum 292H part number 34-336-4 in this motor? Will there be enough clearance between the pistons and valves to use it? Not sure yet what if anything else has been done to the heads.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a 71' 460 from the numbers ive gotten off the block, that has been bored .30 over and has the D3VE-A2A heads that is suppose to have big valve springs already on them. Havent had time to really check things out so goin by what the seller told me. It is for sure bored and has had a bigger than stock cam in it ( i have the cam but not usable surface rust and not sure what size #3444 35-47-94). The pistons are the center dished type with the oblong dish in the center. My question is this...if it has the big springs already on the heads would it be possible to use a Comp Cams Magnum 292H part number 34-336-4 in this motor? Will there be enough clearance between the pistons and valves to use it? Not sure yet what if anything else has been done to the heads.
big springs !
how big are they ?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Im not sure on the size of the springs he just told me it had bigger springs. What springs would I need to use this cam?
Best to get the cam specs (not the part #) and take the heads to a engine shop .

have them check if the pressure / coil bind plus other clearances will work for that cam

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Make sure you get the springs checked before you break in the cam. If they have too much spring pressure you may wipe the lobes on the new cam :cry: ! If they are double springs I wouldn't chance it. You can have the head shop remove the inner springs. You can reinstall them yourself after you break in the cam, without removing the heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If i take one of the springs off will it have a number stamped on them to maybe check it? Also with it being bored .030 over what compression ratio might I have now? I may opt for the 280H Magnum cam instead with new springs and avoid a lot of trouble LOL!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ford 460s that come from the factory with D3VE heads and D1VE block were manufactured between 1973-1978 and all are essentially the exact same long block over those years.

"Big valve springs" means nothing. The springs need to be removed from the cylinder heads and evaluated on a valve spring checker.

On an otherwise bone stock set of D3VE heads, the 292 cam will not work due to retainer-to-guide clearance issues and the heads need to be machined to accomodate that cam. Piston-to-valve clearance (with the OEM style oblong-dished pistons and 2.08" intake valve D3VE heads) will be a non-issue. Nevertheless, it is a completely inappropriate camshaft for an otherwise stock engine.

There are several aftermarket replacement pistons available that will give varying compression ratios with your 460. If they used the common, typical 0.030"overbore 1973-1987 dished piston, then your compression ratio will be around 7.9:1 unless other tricks were done to the engine parts prior to assembly.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks paulkane you answered my question very well. Ive been looking at the mutha thumpr comp cams and actually looked at a few videos on youtube with basiclly stock engines. Im looking for a radical idle in this engine but being on a budget(for now) theres not a lot of options. What would be a good radical cam to use in the motor like it is? This motor is going into a 85 foxbody mustang coupe. What pistons would bump my compression up to at least 9.5 to 1?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Thanks paulkane you answered my question very well. Ive been looking at the mutha thumpr comp cams and actually looked at a few videos on you tube with basiclly stock engines. Im looking for a radical idle in this engine but being on a budget(for now) theres not a lot of options. What would be a good radical cam to use in the motor like it is? This motor is going into a 85 foxbody mustang coupe. What pistons would bump my compression up to at least 9.5 to 1?
If you're looking for 9.5-1 lose these heads and get you DOVE heads. The D3s also have the wrong bolt down rocker arms you're not looking for to adjust them.
DOVE or C8 heads with those pistons will give you around 9.8-10.0-1 comp but you can open them a little and drop the ratio.
Then ever cam will work. Just have them rebuilt with bronze guides, harden seats and bigger exhaust valves. The intakes are fine for your use. Port out the exhaust side and clean the intakes a little.
You'll be around 400-410 HP easy. and lots of torque.
Then your biggest problem will be the rear upper control arm perches, cracking and breaking.
I always like the "being on a budget"? Which means that you only have $50K to spend on it or $50?

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you're looking for 9.5-1 lose these heads and get you DOVE heads. The D3s also have the wrong bolt down rocker arms you're not looking for to adjust them.
DOVE or C8 heads with those pistons will give you around 9.8-10.0-1 comp but you can open them a little and drop the ratio.
Then ever cam will work. Just have them rebuilt with bronze guides, harden seats and bigger exhaust valves. The intakes are fine for your use. Port out the exhaust side and clean the intakes a little.
You'll be around 400-410 HP easy. and lots of torque...
A D0VE head swap on the bone stock short block would increase compression ratio to about 9.1:1. With a D0VE head swap, the cam will still not work for the reason I noted above (retainer-to-guide clearance) and would need that specific machining.

The [email protected]" cam remains quite a lot of duration for such a combo unless the car gets a stall aftermarket converter...same with the [email protected]" 280H but it could more likley be usable than the first choice). A camshaft that is suitable (suitable engine characteristics as desired by the OP) will be fine with the D3VE's OEM pedestal rocker valve train provided the valve train is optimized for the build.

Paul

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks paulkane you answered my question very well. Ive been looking at the mutha thumpr comp cams and actually looked at a few videos on youtube with basiclly stock engines. Im looking for a radical idle in this engine but being on a budget (for now) theres not a lot of options. What would be a good radical cam to use in the motor like it is? This motor is going into a 85 foxbody mustang coupe. What pistons would bump my compression up to at least 9.5 to 1?
  • Deck the block to a 10.300" deck height.
  • Use a cast piston for the 1988-1992 460 FI engines (they have a very small 7cc dish) Compression ratio will be 9.3:1 with the D3VE heads
  • Bowl blend the intake valve bowls and bowl blend the exhaust valve bowls and also smooth the short turn (the part of the port that transitions from the exh bowl to the port floor). 3-angle valve job and new valves.
  • Install a double-roller timing chain with a 3-position keyway which allows you to set the cam timing to 1968-1971 production cam timing specifications (1972 & up 460 engines have retarded cam timing set).
  • Assuming you execute all of the above, install a CompCams 265DEH-10 (34-226-4). This cam will be easily accomodated by the D3VE heads, make good power in the above combo, and also give you that throaty idle. (Note: If the CompCams suggestion on valve springs is for a double spring, then you might want to find a single spring unless your heads have already had the spring perches machined for double springs.)
  • Hardened pushrods of the correct length as the camshaft and valve train setup dictates (not necessarily OEM length).
  • A recurved Ford Duraspark electronic distributor and box.
  • An Edelbrock Performer RPM and a Holley 750 Double Pumper or 850 Double Pumper.
  • Headers or at least a free-flowing dual exhaust system.
The above combo is made of mostly of inexpensive stock parts and in good tune can generate close to 400 hp on pump gas.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just found out from previous owner the heads have been completely reworked and the valve guides have been fixed for the double springs. Would the 283thr7 mutha thumpr comp cam be good with this setup? Or since the heads have been done can I go bigger? Also I got a cam with the motor but cant find out what size it is. Numbers are:

35-47 94 Anybody know where I can find t he specs on this cam? Dont know the make.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ditch the heads for C8, C9 or D0 heads. Have SCJ valves put in them. Sign up at Scott's site Reincarnation.com & have the heads ported as Scott illustrates. Put in an early timing set. Starting in '72 Ford retarded their cams 8 degrees. The '68-'71 timing set will bring the cam back to 0. Recurve the distributor. An Edelbrock Performer or Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with a 750 cfm carb (vac secondaries) if you choose a Holley swap in #76 jets to replace the #72s it has. Long tube headers with 3" low restriction exhaust. Pick a cam that matches the rpm range of the intake. Compcams has a chat on their site where you can chat with their techs. They will recommend cam options along with valve springs, retainers & locks.

If you want to go deeper deck the block. I don't care what the PO said about all the magnificent work he had done on the heads. Put them up for sale & let someone else have them. If you want to learn more about the 385 series engine go to 460.com They have a thread with proven builds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.