Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 460 with early dove low combustion chamber heads. If I am limited to 95 Octane and want 525 hp... as well as stay below $2000...... would you stroke the 460 to 500 and run ~10.0 :1 or keep the 460 normal stroke and just up the cam and compression to get 525 hp? Will I have a problem with air flow for the 500 ci with the standard heads (ported of course)

Eagle makes a 500 in^3 stroker kit for $1500. It includes crank, rods, pistons, and all bearings..... what do you think???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: structural1 on 3/14/02 10:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want to stay below $2000, building a stroker is out of the question. You can't properly build the short block for that amount of money. You also don't need to build a stroker to get 525 HP. Getting 525 HP out of a 10:1 460 with DOVE heads isn't hard, but doing it for $2000 will be a bit of a challenge. You just need a well planned out combination built on a no frills shortblock. Being handy enough to be able to port your own heads wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just got my custom Venolia 523 stroker pistons and they were $885.00 for the set with pins and rings. So that gives you and idea of cost to do a custom stroker. Need way more that $2000. The block work boring, line bore, decking and honing with torque plates will be between $300 and $400 so that doesn't leave much for rods, bearings, balancing, Pan, pump and other items needed just for the short block.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Trying to build a 500hp for 2k,,not possible,not even close.I got 7k in a 457hp dove 466ci with all the best internals.BTW,Desktop dyno`s are bs if you ask me.Try short cutting on a 429/460,,expect this,,,,,,KABOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!LIKE MY LAST 429.

·
Registered
398 Posts
500 HP for 2000 can be done, I'm doing almost the same thing right now.

Decided on upping the power, though, so it got more expensive. (Rods, 1000CFM carb, 7000rpm, etc)

It was going to be roughly 2500 bucks for about 525 HP the way I was building to start with. Truck rods, Home ported C9VE heads (D0VE are almost identical), Hyper flattops, SVO hydraulic cam, roller rockers, stealth, 850 CFM. An 11:1 torque monster!

That's it! The key is to be patient, look for used parts and good deals, put the word out to local folks about what you're building. Racers are great folks that want to help you, and they'll give leads on parts they know about and sometimes sell you what you need for cheap. Their advice and help is worth many many six packs!

Check out http://network54.com/forum/85220.

There are some hardcore 460 racers there, and tons of great info. Sharpest bunch of big block ford guys on the planet.

Good luck to you, and email me if you've got any questions about my buildup.

Greg Pettit
[email protected]

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's possible to build over 500HP in a 460 for $2000. Build a basically stock short block using truck rods with good bolts and whatever hyperutectic pistons will give you 10.5 to 1 compression minimum. Use early heads and do a little clean up and porting on them if you can. Just removing all the ridges below the valve seats and removing the thermactor boss from the exhaust port is worth 30 HP. When getting a valve job, specify a 3 angle job. It's worth the extra $50. Use an intake like an RPM Performer, Stealth, Victor, Ford Power Parts, Blue Thunder, or Offy Port-O-Sonic. For a cam, use a dual pattern with 240-250 degrees on the intake, 10 to 12 more on the exhaust, and matching springs. Find one with approx 110 lobe seperation, install it 4 to 6 degrees advanced, and use nothing smaller than 1 7/8" long tube headers. That combination will make over 500 HP. It'll be a tight budget but can be done by finding used intakes and carbs and shopping around for the things that have to be bought new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just spent 45 min typeing out my built sheet,with parts, prices, cam specs dyno#s and head flow#s too.Got disconnected from isp,when i hit submit upon dialup my post got lost in cyberspace,GGGGRRRRRRRRRR.I`m going to bed,damnit1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey cobra 460.... I would love to get that build sheet.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am about to embark on a 460 build. New ground for me. (the recent "grenaded 390" thread refers to my escapades at the march meets last weekend)
My plan is to put the 460 into my 67 fastback. I am looking to run low twelves (the car is not caged) but I have no experience with the 460's. It seems on the surface like it should be pretty uncomplicated to get there, and like the motor should be pretty bulletproof. Mach1Morgan's info looks real helpful, and I could use any other advice including motor mount/conversion kits for the 460 to '67, headers that fit etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: a1320tom on 3/16/02 2:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am starting a 460 build. I was give a complete engine. Trying to find out what I have. The head cast # is DOVE-A
Block # C9VE-B
Anyone know what that means... year, comprestion ratio, combustion chamber vol.
I'd like to see 500HP or so. The engine has been completly rebuilt, as stock. Hate to tear it all apart. Think I can get 500HP by porting the heads and better intake?
Or what about adding a blower? Couldn't run much boost, but since the engine is rebuilt I was thinking it may be a simple power adder.
Just looking for some info.. thanks.

you can get 460 engine mounts and headers for your '67 from www.critesrestoration.com
haven't dealt with them... just saw they offer them.

-Terry A

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the block that you have listed is the truck block from back I believe that's the cv9e block and the heads are the dove high compression high output heads from the boss mustang I think. You have a really good combination there that is nearly worth its weight in gold it it can all be refreshed by and engine shop. Or freshen the old girl up yourself and with the right carbs and a set of long tube headers that could be a wicked little rat motor setup. ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Shop around for a 4.300 stroke crank Ford Racing (Scat) crank that uses stock rods and buy a set of Autotec forged dished pistons to match. I have less than $1,500 in my assembled , balanced short block ( less cam and chain). I have a STRICT 6,000 rpm limit on it ( due to the stock rods) but expect to make over 500 hp with ease using '72 PI 460 heads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts