Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my 460 and c-6 combo into a mustang and I seen a post on another website about different crankshaft pilot sizes. I thought all 460's had a 1.375 crank pilot. I never even checked if the pilot on my crank was any different. What would happen if the crank is 1.850 and the converter is 1.375.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad on 5/2/02 8:59pm ]</font>

·
Registered
71 Posts
all the books say it is cut and dry one way or the other but from my experience it can be either - and there is one other one that is not listed - i do not remember the exact size but the crank had to be cut to the larger one --- the converter has to be the correct one - the pilot locates the converter not the bolts --- just done a truck 460 clutch and the book said it had the small one but the truck had the larger bearing ---- you maybe could have a bushing machined but be careful that not only does the size matter but the converter has to has the correct end play also

·
Registered
398 Posts
Small pilot is 1.375, and large is 1.848.

Both sizes are possible in different years, but theoretically, '71 and up have a 1.375 pilot deep in the crank flange, and pre '71 have the 1.848 shallow pilot size.

Check out the 429/460 forum, they've been discussing this there. http://network54.com/forum/85220

Good luck!

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts