Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbe here. But I just pick-up the 460 for my truck in signature. The guy said he was told it was a Delmar Block and could be turned into a stroker. I haven't cleaned it up yet to get any numbers off it yet but its a 77 460 out of a extended cab 3/4 ton. Could it be a Delmar (or somthing like that). Or could it be built to make streetable 450 to 500 hp. with out to much work?? I'm thinking intake,headers and cam/lifters (or maybe 1.6 rockers?)just for a start. I'll repost numbers later after I clean it up and can read numbers. Where would the numbers be located on the block and heads.
Thanks in advance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pedal2themetal45 on 6/2/02 11:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Im not familiar with a delamr block? If it is a 77 model it may have a D1VE casting, if so its nothing speacial, but it can be built. Your main concern will be the heads, look for early heads 68-71, they have smaller cc. Also the 429/460 have 1.73 from the factory, I don't think you can get 1.6s

·
Registered
123 Posts
find an old set of c9ve or dove-c heads. they are plentiful and make excellent torque...500ft/lbs is easily with a performer rpm intake and appropriate cam while using the early heads.the stock rocker ratio is 1.73..you can get 1.8's but,just get the right cam. good luck, ron.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ain' no Delmar, Elroy, nor any other kind or f 460! No 385 series motors had any goofy nomenclature like that.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 460 Tom
I Thought he might be blowing smoke, I think he was blowing a lot more smoke, than he though I knew he was

Thanks rj
Where would I find the marks on a head to know that they were the Dove-c heads?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
d0ve(zero, not an o) is the year cast, its right on the outter portion of the head, plain as day. Your heads most likely will be D3ve or D VE, which are the 70s smog heads. The D stands for 70's, 0,1,2,3 is the exact year D0VE being a 70, D3VE a 73 and so on. C8, C9, and D0 are by far the best heads as far as ease of locating a pair, and performance enhancement.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-05-30 22:47, 460 Tom wrote:
Ain' no Delmar, Elroy, nor any other kind or f 460! No 385 series motors had any goofy nomenclature like that.
429-460 Ford Big Blocks.............Lima..........Ford engine line name for these motors because they were made in the Lima Ohio plant.

The Lima 2.3 Pinto 4s were also made in this plant.

Kinda strange to have Fords biggest engine and one of it's smallest made in the same plant?

65 Falcon Sprint "White Lightning 408-W"
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed "XL-ERATOR"
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 5/31/02 2:44pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Casting #'s are between the center exhaust ports right below the valve covers. They are easily visible after you wipe the grime off.

D3's are basically the same as early castings, but your compression will suffer. If you go with early(68-71) heads and your block with the dished pistons you'll have around 9.5:1 compression. Good for the street and will make some power. Pick your motor's operating range(rpm) and get a cam to match. Don't over cam because you will want to kick your own ass when the motor won't get out of it's own way! Good luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
As we digress on the Lima's lets not forget the "little Lima" the 370 truck motor, and hey what about the Lima bean?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wiyh all due respect to love70sford, That big casting #..D0VE etc. is NOT the casting date. It is the first year model that casting is used. The casting date is a small line with alphanumeric code. The first # is the year of the decade (which you got from D0VE)=1970.The second will be a letter, denoting the month of casting. The last 1 or 2 numbers will be the day of the month.For example, A D0VE casting number with date code 9K13 would be 1969, October 13th. I have 2 of these in my shop now.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the numbers on the head
D3ov A2A
Are they any good??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pedal2themetal45 on 6/3/02 8:43pm ]</font>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts