Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive been building a 460 for my 71 torino. I looked over my block and heads and they are D3VE castings on the heads. Are these good heads to start with if i port them.(Im wanting about 500 horses and about the same torque)

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Nope. Find find yourself a set of DOVE or C8 heads and have CJ size valves and port job.

·
Registered
813 Posts
D3 heads are very capable of making 500 horsepower, but they'll need extensive porting to reach the goal, esspecially on the exhaust side.
Yeah, go to 460Ford.com and check out "The Mad Porter"....he's got one hell of a website that goes into porting deatails for the average Joe who wishes to port his own heads.....its about $20 a year to join his site, but the info is very much worth the low price.
He's got a 70 Merc Cyclone that runs 12's on pump gas with only a 429, so he's no dummy!!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
In regards to dacofa's post, I think some misinformation is being spread. As said above, D3's are capable of making power. Stock for stock the D3's flow only slightly less than the earlier C8's-D0's. However, the differences are very slight in terms of port design and chamber design.

The biggest difference between the early heads (C8's-D0's) and the late heads (D3) are chamber volume, with the later heads having a larger volume (around 92 cc's). Ironically, "The Mad Porter" (as referred to above) has made claims that D3's are actually able to flow better than the earlier castings when fully ported.

500 horsepower is an attainable goal with compression (around 9.5:1) a decent cam (around 230/236 @ 0.050) cam, and a little exhaust portwork and gasket matching on both intake and exhaust. Look over on 460ford.com and You'll see a bunch of combos under the engine build section.

Just for some food for thought, carcraft did an article on a 460 that made 430 horespower and 490 lb-ft with stock heads, 8.8:1 compression an intake, a small cam and hedders.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0008_87_octane_ford_460/

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
The article says DOVE heads, which it also send in the valvetrain section are the better heads. Later heads will make HP, but start with a little better if money can get you there.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Carcraft (by there own admission) deals mostly with chevys, and the little blurb about the later heads is mostly untrue. The D2VE's ARE the heads that are to be avoided, as they have open, detonation prone chambers. But, as many can attest to, the D3VE's flow very comparably to the D0VE's.

Not trying to start anything, But I think the D3VE's are nearly as good as the D0's, and going through the process of trying to find an earlier set when his goal is only 500 hp is not really needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice guys. I looked over the pistons im getting and it looks like ill have about 11.8 to one compression. Will i have to run 91 octane or will 89 work for me.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
11.8:1 is kinda high. For a street iron headed motor I'd say about 10:1 is about the highest Id want to go. I know people have run high compression with iron heads, but I feel if you want to be able to run pump gas with full timing on the street, stick to around 9.5-10:1.

What'd you use to calculate compression?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I suggest you look up a compression calculator to give you a better idea of what your compression will actually be. Of course you want know your true compression until you have everything checked (how far pistons are in the hole, actual head cc's, compressed gasket thickness, actual dome/recess in pistons, etc.)

Are you using dome pistons? because as I remember flat tops yield around 10:1 with D3's, although I could be wrong!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Measure, measure, measure.

The book does not know what your gasket is, what you've cut from the deck, what you've cut from the head or where the piston sits in the bore for anything other than bog-stock.

We are spoiled by modern engines with good 'quench' type chambers (Yates, LS2 GM etc) that can run huge compression without race fuel, this engine ain't one of them.

12:1 mechanical compression in a 429-460 will need 98-100 octane gas, minimum to prevent engine damage. You can pull timing out of the motor and richen it up to keep it from detonating, but that will just make it feel like a pig, and smell like one, too.

A really big cam will bleed off a lot of the static compression at low speeds, but you will blow a lot of raw gas out the back in return for the privelege.

I would seriously reconsider your combo if you are doing anything but racing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well does any one have a suggestion on what pistons i should run becasue it does still need to run on 89 to 91 fuel on the street

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Flat tops with those heads shield yield something more like 9:1-9.5:1. I think Flat tops would be a good choice, but you really need to ask the experts over on 460ford.com

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm looking into using the kb flat tops for my 460 build and according to the fordmuscle calculator I will have 10.14:1 with the d3ve's, a .038" thick gasket, and zero deck. I'm looking to make about 500hp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts