Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of Trans Dapt mounts and installed them by the directions,I positioned the mounts in the same general location as the old mounts.After drilling and mounting mounts and having engine installed I'm looking at it and it looks like the motor might be setting a little to far to the front,can anyone that has used these mounts tell me how much room did you have between the firewall and the trans mounting bolts.The mounts are almost centered on the cross member maybe a little back from center.Everything looks good just don't know if motor should go back more,it can only go back about 2 inches before the mount will be on the edge of the cross member.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got a set of Trans Dapt mounts and installed them by the directions,I positioned the mounts in the same general location as the old mounts.After drilling and mounting mounts and having engine installed I'm looking at it and it looks like the motor might be setting a little to far to the front,can anyone that has used these mounts tell me how much room did you have between the firewall and the trans mounting bolts.The mounts are almost centered on the cross member maybe a little back from center.Everything looks good just don't know if motor should go back more,it can only go back about 2 inches before the mount will be on the edge of the cross member.
I have no knowledge of the mounts you speak of but do know factory mounts out of a '73-'79 will work just fine. I am using factory in my truck. The factory mounts will go into the factory holes in the frame and crossmember. I am assuming you are working with a 2WD. I would think the aftermarket mounts would have went into the factory holes as well.

I have a friend with a '65/429 & another with a '62/429. The 385 series engines fill the engine compartment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought when I ordered them they would use the same holes as original but they didnt so I figured I should place them in the same area but after doing so it looks like the motor sets a little to far to the front I have about 4 inches between motor and firewall

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I am assuming you must be replacing the old frame towers too?..If you have the trans installed how close is it to bolting up to the trans crossmember?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought when I ordered them they would use the same holes as original but they didnt so I figured I should place them in the same area but after doing so it looks like the motor sets a little to far to the front I have about 4 inches between motor and firewall
Might sound simple but are you certain you have them on the correct side?

5. Note that one of the Trans-Dapt frame mount brackets is longer than the other. The long one goes on the left side (driver's side) of the engine. Install the longer frame mount bracket to the left side (driver's side) of the engine and the shorter frame mount bracket to the right side (passenger side) of the engine using the 9/16-12 X 4½" bolts and teflon lock nuts supplied. Do not tighten at this time.

6. Drop the engine into the engine bay with the complete Trans-Dapt mount assemblies installed the engine. When engine is in place, swing frame mount brackets up to frame and determine correct positioning. If they do not line up to the frame configuration, you may have them on upside down. You may have to remove them, turn them over and reinstall to the motor mount plates. Once correct position, scribe around the outside perimeter of the frame mount plates on the frame of the truck. Do not install bolts at this time.

I read the instructs and sure enough you have to drill your own holes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might sound simple but are you certain you have them on the correct side?

5. Note that one of the Trans-Dapt frame mount brackets is longer than the other. The long one goes on the left side (driver's side) of the engine. Install the longer frame mount bracket to the left side (driver's side) of the engine and the shorter frame mount bracket to the right side (passenger side) of the engine using the 9/16-12 X 4½" bolts and teflon lock nuts supplied. Do not tighten at this time.

6. Drop the engine into the engine bay with the complete Trans-Dapt mount assemblies installed the engine. When engine is in place, swing frame mount brackets up to frame and determine correct positioning. If they do not line up to the frame configuration, you may have them on upside down. You may have to remove them, turn them over and reinstall to the motor mount plates. Once correct position, scribe around the outside perimeter of the frame mount plates on the frame of the truck. Do not install bolts at this time.

I read the instructs and sure enough you have to drill your own holes.
I read the instructions and made sure the long mount was on the drivers side and put it in place on the crossmember and marked the holes then removed and drilled the holes.I then reinstalled the engine and put the supplied nuts and bolts in and when looking at the trans crossmember with the engine where it's at it lines up perfect.I just have a lot of room between the firewall and the back of the motor,I only have 2 1/2 inches I can move motor back before the bolt holes are past the front crossmember.I have the mounts just about where the factory mounts are and just wondered if someone used the same mounts and where they mounted them on the crossmember.My main concern is not the room in the back I just want to make sure I have enough room when I put the front end back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might give them a call I was just hoping someone had done the same swap with the same mounts and could tell me where they placed them.I'm thinking I will put the motor as far back as possable and that will leave me with more room up front.Thanks for all the replies I'm sure I will figure it out,like they say if you have a cutting torch and a welder anything will work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I might give them a call I was just hoping someone had done the same swap with the same mounts and could tell me where they placed them.I'm thinking I will put the motor as far back as possable and that will leave me with more room up front.Thanks for all the replies I'm sure I will figure it out,like they say if you have a cutting torch and a welder anything will work.
Setting it back further will also give you better weight distribution & handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts