Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a swap kit that has headers bigger than 2" which seem to be in all the kits I've seen? I really would like 2 1/4" primaries but 2 1/8" is better than the anemic 2". I am building a 13.5+:1 compression 466 right with aluminum CJ heads and a mild street solid roller 300AR Comp Cam now just temporarily until I build stout stroker and really need some headers that breath yet are part of a swap kit including engine/frame mounts. MPG head service seems to have the best kit whick with a Victor 460/1" spacer/Dominator will clear the stock hood with no holes or scoop but headers are 2". Crites only has 2" also and their kit sets the engine up higher. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hedman Husler has a 2 1/8" header available for the 71 Mustang 429CJ . I had a set. No way would they fit in a Galaxie without using the Fire-Ax.
Hooker also used to have a listing on some big-tube headers. Sorry I no longer have the headers. They looked very good in the back of a 5.0 Mustang.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I have no clue who makes a ready-made header for that app. However, knowing that you're a can-do sort of guy there Coupe, why don't you just make a set that fit your needs? You could even make them so they slip in place without having to "clearancing" any pieces. Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would go with the Hooker Supercomps that are for the '71 429SCJ Mach1 Mustang. They are huge, a little too huge if you ask me, but they are what you are looking for and they will fit. No problems.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey guys im there now, 545in a 68 stang, you can't use headers for a 71 stang, no way, with out major mods to headers or frame, mine are tubular auto, criets make another. I dont know how they(mpg) stay under the hood, due to my pan is all but hitting the steering linkage now(criets motor mounts), im running a victor jr intake and a 1/2 spacer , with out an air cleaner my carb is into the hood, if theres a trick , please let me know, with the power out put i should have I should be in the mid 10's, thats should be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which pan are you using? I need one that will clear the 557 stroker assy and since you have the same 4.5" stroke crank I will use(except for brand), I thought you might have a good pan or an idea of another pan that will clear with an absolute minimum of 7qts(8-12qt preferred) for our chassis. I like the Canton 7qt(except for only being 7qts) with bolt in windage tray, crank scraper, diamond baffle, 4 trap door assembly that just recently came out but may be forced to use the Milidon 8qt pan since it fits Greg Cooks 557. I need a pan which will clear the 4.5" stroker crank and H-beam rods. Since this 466 is temporary and might possibly put my '65 Fairlane wagon on e-bay just so I can start out with the 557 since I found an $1800 557 assy. BTW, I also need a front cover and 3 429/460 C-6 block plates if anybody has some extras.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey Coupe,
I did this with crites kit. It does set the engine higher but not too bad. I have a weiand Stealth intake holley 850 D.P. and a 3 inch drop base air filter and I have a 6 inch cowl induction hood but could have gotten away with a 4 3/4 if I used a shorter air cleaner.As I have it right now I still have 1 inch of clearance under the hood.
The MPG kit headers are not equal length (look at the pics on the site) Some one told me they quit making them too but I could be wrong.My headers are 2" and are very very close to the steering box on the #8 cylinder.you will probably not fit 2 1/8 or 2 1/4 tubes in there. I mean you can probably only slip a thin piece of paper between the headers and the box.Headers from a 71 will definately not work.You cant use power steering either but so what!
I used the Canton 9 quart T-sump pan but had to modify some header tubes so I would go with the Canton pan you described.Also ground clearance is tight with the headers because one tube from each side crosses over underneath the pan.And finally a c-4 trans will afford you more room underneath.
Well sorry for being long winded but just trying to help ya out.

Bob

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey 89Coupe I forgot to mention that there was a new front cover on e-bay the other night it might still be there.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bob for the info. You said you have a 9qt Canton pan for a 460? I have been trying to find one but can't. Do you know the part#? How much did you have to modify the headers to fit the wide "T" pan? I may go that route if it doesn't involve too much. There is a place here that can modify the headers if needed for pan clearance. I think the large pan capacity of 9qts is more important than using a smaller pan without headers mods. I plan on wheels up front high launches in the mid/low 1.30 60ft times once chassis is modified enough and need the extra capacity.
I think the Stealth intake is taller than the Victor 460 and I will be grafting on a 4"-6" cowl induction piece to the hood for air cleaner clearance but I really didn't want to do that yeat but the MPG swap kit probably won't fit my car so if I decide not to put the cowl induction on the hood, it will be a teardrop bubble with openings at the rear to let the hot air out and probably some type of ram air setup with ducting from core support to air cleaner. I'm interrested in how well your combo works and how cool the cars stays whileidling and cruising on hot summer days. I can fit the 32" X 19" Griffin radiator in mine with minor core support mods but I may have to use a stock '69 T-bird water pump because it's shorter than the others(for added electric fan clearance). I will have at least 14.5:1 compression with my pistons I have now and a fairly small 300AR solid roller Comp Cams street cam temporarily until I get the chassis able to handle more power. The info about how much you had to modify the headers for the Canton 9qt pan is the most important question I have to ask you right now and the part# of the pan. Thanks a lot, KENT

·
Registered
521 Posts
Kent, I think I misled you on the pan.I just went to Canton's sight CMFilters.com and tried to look up the pan for you but they changed the sight.But you can contact them by email or phone.I dont know what made me say my pan was 9 quarts,I know it is 8 for a fact but the only "T" sump pan I can find on their site is a roadrace pan for a 460 that is 7 quarts.I just looked in my Scummit catalog and Milodon makes a 9 quart pan. it is a low profile front sump 9 1/2" deep.# MIL-30929 but dont know if it is baffled or has a scraper.
I only have 10.5:1 comp.560 hp 545lb torque.It runs abou 220 degrees in the summer heat .I feel this is too hot. I am running a copper brass 4 core rad that I had built the width of the core support and recessed it into the support I dont know the exact dmensions.I should have bought an Alum. rad but I did this 5 years ago when they werent that popular.I run a 160 stat.I run a stock waterpump (cast iron) I still have a few tricks up my sleeve to get the temps down for spring.I dont have any hard numbers yet a far as performance goes because I still have some chassis work to do and my rearend isnt up to snuff for the strip yet.I can tell you that the powwer I have in this light stang is awesome.I wouldnt hesitate to say low elevens or high tens if I can get it to the ground.
almost forgot, I had to heavily modify the 2 header tubes that would lay along side the front sump of the pan with J-bends and welding them up then had to have them recoated.It was very labor intensive!!
BOB

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey chili, i use a heavy mod stock pan, Greg and i had no probs with rods or crank hitting anything, except when main girdle is on, pan work is needed. I just ordered a dominator drop base 16" cleaner , due to height problems . ill let you know, heck your welcome to come over and check my system out, even hear her run

·
Registered
291 Posts
89 coupe, i see that your more than a hike away, contact me thru e-mail and I send some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mike545, I'll e-mail you with some more questions. I wish I could come over and thoroughly check the car out(and hear/see it run) but that is a good hike like you said. Pictures will help greatly though. Which oil pan did you use on your 545? Do you have a main guirdle? I have one that I'll use.

mustang68mustangs, I had talked to MPG about their swap kit and they still make them. They are $650 plus shipping. The MPG kit lowers the engine 1" and brings it foreward 1" so hood clearance will be a little better. I measured my '68 Falcon wagon engine bay and also my dad's '68 Cyclone engine bay and seems they are the same. Just the core support is different on the Cyclone which has a larger opening for the big block radiator. I will modify mine to fit the 31" X 19" alum Griffin radiator I have in the Fairmont wagon.

Trying to find a used front cover and 460 to C-6 block plates still. Thanks guys....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a dry sump pan/pump; fab your motor mounts; that will allow you to drop your engine down. Install Mustang II front end; thus cutting out the shock towers; also using a hydraulic TOB will give you more room for headers.

'69 convertible, 605" aluminum mountain motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts