Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking lately of selling my mustang (71 fastback) and ggetting a maverick to put my 520 into as a STRIP/street car because the Mav is SOOO much lighter. I am getting a lot of answers about it needing a Mustang II front end, and that may just be WAY too much work and time for me right now. So I got the idea of...why not just use the Mustang II front end in a mustang II? If I get a 1974 it is smog exempt, and the suspension is already there. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? What is the weight of these vehicles? Somehow if nobody shoots this idea down...I think I may go this route. I would use motor plates if need be...and probably would anyways. going to want to use Big tube headers as well. Thanks a lot guys!

Jeff Given

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MightyMach on 3/2/04 4:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Go through http://www.mustangii.net. There's an MII in there with a 460. If I remember, they had to space the rails an extra 4" apart to fit the motor. So, I'd think you're going to be chopping and fabbing on anything you try with that deal. A real MII is a very small car. It's a serious pain to fit even a 351W.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I have done a 460/C-4 into a Comet(Maverick). What I did was remove everything except the suspension, including the shock towers. Then I made a coil over bracket for the shocks & mounted one to the frame & one end to the lower control arm. This works with engine plates a LOT better. It's a lot of fab work but not nearly as much as you're talking about. Headers are a pain too. The Maverick/Comet is a much smaller car but with all the fab I personally don't think the 400 pounds difference is worth it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick what are you planning your race weight to be? The 71 FB has to be every bit of 3400-3500 # I read somewhere that 70 maverick is 2501 (with an I 6)...I am begining to think as well the it is inevitable and that I am gonna end up going with the 71.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I hafta be #3200 for a big block & power adder. My last one with full interior was #3400 with a stock engine. They do make 'glass parts for them too. Figure the 460 is about #400
heavier than the I-6 too.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Oh... after all the thinking & planning I could do, I ended up with one too. I thought Cyclone, Mustang, or a late model full frame car i.e. '73 Torino. Mustang was the easiest & lightest & I hafta have stock front suspension.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you plan on running in the 1/4? Is it gonna be street able at all? Since i am not going to be running for money like you I will be at most of the street legal tracks. What are you planning on doing to knocking down the weight? I should really get this pig weighed I suppose...and do you know what the fast back weighs opposed to the coupe? Thanks!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Jeff, I'll be driving it at Woodward & my races have a 30 mile required drive so it'll be streetable. The heads & intake were about 100 pounds, I'm using a 'glass hood eventually, and it's abour 50 pounds, as well as aluminum seats & all the sound deadener I can stand will be gone. They are lighter than most people think for a big car. I assume the FB is a little heavier, maybe 200 pounds? I'm figuring when the new engine is finished & I finally ladder bar it this winter (another weight savings along with the aluminum chunk) it should be in the mid nines on the engine & low 8's on the bottle, if I can drive it
The main reason I'm doing this one as opposed to the one I sold is to be able to drive it the 20 miles to the track, it's a big deal here.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alrighty...I guess I am stuck on the 71 mustang...Anyhoo I should really go weigh it. At the local truck scale with me in it, 351 C, alum. intake, C6, headers, and 3" exhaust the 73 weighed 3680...that was with an 1/8 tank. I also weigh 230. I guess I lost the heavy front bumper and maybe weigh close the same as the 351 C with the alum. heads and intake and I do not plan on running exhaust.... I guess we shall see...

The interior is too nice in the 71 to strip so that is out of the question, but the seats will definately be replaced with 2 "racing seats," but then again I have the weight of the cage....

Thanks
Jeff Given

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mightymach on 3/2/04 1:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Man, Ford must have really added the stuff in 71~73. I just weighed the 70 and it's 2840 with 5 gallons in it. The only thing missing from the interior is the A/C, back seat and the underlayment. All the carpet, door panels, window stuff, etc. is in the car. Oh, and no spare. If we start making $ at the track, the next thing will be a 'glass hood and a Boss 429 scoop. Gut them safety bumpers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts