Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody on the board have experience with N2O? I'd just like the opinion of a N2O experienced person to make sure I'm not gonna hurt anything.

Motor is bored .030 over, TRW forged dished pistons, compression is 9.59:1 with DOVEC heads ported polished on the exhaust side, fitted with Chevy 7/16" studs and guideplates, Cobrajet stainless steel valves, Comp 270H cam, springs and lifters to match, pre 72 timing set, Weiand Stealth manifold with Holley 750 cfm vac secondary, open headers water injected (it's a boat), I'm figuring it's close to 500 horse although it's not been dyno'd. I'm wanting to run a 100 hp NOS plate system on it (ordered it and just waiting for it to arrive). I've been doing some studying here lately but want to check/double check all my bases. I'm running a Holley fuel pump (new) 7.5 psi shutoff, 80 gph, a fram canister type fuel filter flows 90 gph. I just ran all new -6 stainless fuel lines and hope it's gonna be larger enough. Also hope the pump is capable of keeping up with the rest of the system. Set timing to the appropriate 2 degrees retard for each 50 hp of the N2O kit. Gonna install a fuel pressure sensor to shut down NOS solenoid in the event I lose fuel pressure. Will this work on a mechanical pump? Micro switch control for full open throttle.

How am I doing? Am I missing anything?

Sorry so long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danimal on 4/25/02 9:50am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danimal on 4/25/02 10:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
dude,
everything is set up ok, but you need an extra fuel pump to run the petrol with the n20, the pressure must be constant 7 psi when flowing, this is to avoid leaning out and burning holes in your pistons, (personal experience), yes your motor should be puuting out about 500 hp as is now

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
XE460 is right. You need a seperate electric fuel pump for the nitrous system fuel enrichment. The mechanical pump is not good because of the "pulsing" fuel pressure and it needs to be a constant pressure. The -6 fuel line for the engine may not be big enough too. You should have gone with a -8 or -10 but -6 is just too small. You may fun the bowls dry during a long hard blast on the water. The -6 fuel system would be great as enrichment fuel for your small nitrous system and make a new -8 or -10 fuel system to feed your engine. 750 is a litle small for that 466 and really would come alive on the top end with an 850DP or aftermarket equivelant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Just what I thought. Good suggestion on the fuel lines. That way all the -6 doesn't go to waste. I considered running -8 in the beginning but it seemed like overkill. Guess not eh? Of course I didn't plan on running the N2O when I signed my paycheck over to Jeggs n Summit. It sounds like I'm o.k. except the additional fuel pump/larger lines thing?

Oh yeah did either of you run the fuel pressure sensor as a safety backup? I've read that it's a good idea. Not enough fuel pressure shuts down the NOS solenoid and saves the motor?

Thanks again

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danimal on 4/25/02 10:41am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The fuel pressure nitrous cutoff switch is a good idea to use. I didn't use one because I ran exactly 5PSI fuel pressure when I ran nitrous and the switch would cut off the nitrous from pressure being too low but that's where my nitrous system ran best was at 5PSI while activated. Use the nitrous fuel pressure safety switch and you won't have to worry about running lean from low fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I ran virtually the same engine as you. You'll need a small nitrous pump & plumb it like Kent said. I actually put a friends fogger on it once for fun... it made a believer out of me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch! Got on line last night and ordered $300 bucks worth of -8 stainless/fittings and an electric fuel pump. Oh well if you're gonna do it ya gotta do it right. Here's another question. I have two fuel tanks that are Tee'd going into a canister type (fram) fuel filter. I want the fuel filter to be in line before the N20 system. Can I just T off the -8 run after the filter and run it into the electric fuel pump? It'll end up being a short -8 run to that new dedicated pump then transition on the output to -6 for the rest of the way to the N20.

Something else occured to me. If I'm running -8 for fuel, and it's getting reduced at to 3/8" npt at the filter then down to 1/4" npt at the mechanical fuel pump, and again to 1/4" npt at the fuel bar for the carb, isn't that effectively reducing the flow of the whole run? May be a stupid question but it got me thinking. I never took physics.

Thanks for all the input.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danimal on 4/25/02 11:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am running a very similiar setup on my
460 also. I have an NOS Sniper kit on it.
I have a holley red electric pump.

I have 6an all the way to the regulator and
then splits into (3) 6an lines. 2 for the
carb and 1 for the NOS.
I run 6 psi at the regulator and have had no
problems with fuel starvation yet.
But, Im normally only on it for 11 seconds
at a time. In your boat you could run out
of fuel because of a longer length of time
with the NOS activated.
Some kits say not to use it over a certain
amount of seconds. I think its for combustion heat reasons.

Make sure you check what the recommended fuel
pressure is on your kit. Most NOS plate systems are 5.5 psi. If you go more pressure
it will run rich.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it's true, it's difficult to establish a liquid 1/4 mile. Depending on who you're running against it could be as much as a half mile (if they don't want to give up). I'm gonna toss up a link to the way I'm thinking I can do this. Would ya'll let me know if this'll work or not. Should I be running a regulator? Can you recommend one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. This little endeavor is getting expensive. The kit was cheap but all the other stuff is killing me. Not to mention the fact that there is only so much room in one these little low profile hotrod boats.

http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/fuel_diagram.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danimal on 4/26/02 10:12pm ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts