Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm saving up for the World Man-O-War 460 short block. This is a Windsor type smallblock.
The engine is to replace a 408W in a Bronco. I have a EFI system from MASS-AIR FLO ,Victor Jr manifold and will be adding a procharger down the line, this will blow well below 10 PSI and if Desktop Dyno is anywhere near correct provide me with above 600Hp and around 650 ib/ft.
I'm using the car mostly on the street, it will see occational striptime and some light offroading. 6000 RPM limit.

What do you guys thinks for heads on this beast?

Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samh on 4/29/06 4:48pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.
But, there must be a catch somewhere here, the Edelbrock Victor jr CNC, are close to $1230 bare, each, at Summit, Dart pro's 225 are $1,286.95, pr pair assembled .. AFR 225 are $1939 a pair assembled at Flatlanderacing.com.
Is there some real life experience out there with more than one set of these heads to justifie such a difference on a mostly streetdriven and by far not a dedicated racer?

Maybe just me being cheap but it just doesn't make any sense to pay twice as much for a bare set of Victors as the assembled pair of Dart 225's..

Sam

Transmission calc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samh on 4/30/06 4:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, just checked Summit again, could have sworn I've saw the darts at 1286 a pair.
Of course it was each..
Well, it seems like the AFR 225 has the best price in this class, $1993 assembled vs $2587 for the assembled pair of Darts. I have the AFR185's on my 408 and I'm happy with them, I guess AFR 225 is on the way to the 460, this was my initial choice as well.

Cam suggestion for running N/A with about 9.5 compression,
Crane suggested #449661 which perhaps look a little bit small ?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
They need to be really big on a 460" SB if you want to make some HP.

But it depends on what your doing with it, I thing the 200cc and under heads would make a torque monster, The heads in the 200-225 range would make a good Street & Street/Strip set-up, but for a race type Small block with that may inches you are going to need some monster heads.

What kind cam and what cam specs are you intending to run?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 5/2/06 1:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
What about some of te canted valve heads? Brodix / Ford?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not a race car, sometimes it even ses daily duty, but most of the time just for fun.
It will for about 90% see street use and a small amount of offroading on local trails and forestry roads. I hope to run some descent street legal runs with it as well, hopefully below 13 , remember this is a 4500 lbs car with some serious air resistance and 4X4. I don' t want it too extreme cause it will see offroad use as well. To much power and it will just rip everything apart.
I have a friend who thinks the AFR205 will be enough head for my use, he thinks the blower will make up for the smaller runners, he might be right but the little red man on my shoulder keeps telling me this is a big engine..

Crane suggested the #449661 which is similar to a Z303. It's symmetric and has [email protected] and .552 lift. That just sounds small to me for this engine.
What horror if this engine should sound anything like stock

Desktop Dyno doesnt show much difference between the 225 and the 205 below 4-5000 rpms, how can anyone make a dyno prog and not account for the port velocity, shisshh.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Look in to Engine Analizer Pro, It's a lot more advanced. Blower motors tend to like smaller cams, but to small of heads are bad in any application. From my experiance blower tends to make bigger heads more tame. But it does sound like your goals are very street oriented. I do think you are still going to have driveline breakage issues with the potental your combo and weight of your truck reguardless.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like an awesome setup.
Imagine a 4 Low holeshot in that thing.
Granted it would probably twist the TTB frontend up into a mess, or throw a driveshaft or two...
But if it didn't....phew.
Nice.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On 2006-05-01 12:30, samh wrote:
I hope to run some descent street legal runs with it as well, hopefully below 13 , remember this is a 4500 lbs car with some serious air resistance and 4X4.
How in the world did you get your Bronco down to 4500lbs? Mine weighs 5400 with me in it... so given an extra 200lbs for my big block and abou 100lbs worth of stereo equipment and I'm still a few hundred pounds heavier.

BTW, that thing should be a real screamer! But just curious, why did you decide to throw so much money into a man-o-war small block, beefed up stroker crank/rods, massive heads, etc... when you could built a big block with stock short block, aluminum heads, and still use your EFI (with a new Victor intake with injector bungs), etc.?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 5/5/06 1:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2006-05-04 10:39, Motorhead wrote:

How in the world did you get your Bronco down to 4500lbs? Mine weighs 5400 with me in it...
Just an estimate, your weight might be more correct. Still hope for low 13's

BTW, that thing should be a real screamer! But just curious, why did you decide to throw so much money into a man-o-war small block, beefed up stroker crank/rods, massive heads, etc... when you could built a big block with stock short block, aluminum heads, and still use your EFI (with a new Victor intake with injector bungs), etc.?
First, I have a new and buildt 4R100 for a modular engine,
lightly modified to fit modified (
) windsor bolt pattern, $4000+ in that one and it absolutely will not fit a big block. Then I have the MASS-FLO already matched to the small block. Then I think its cool, it is big, and different and brutal and nobody else runs it at the street, at least not here.
I just want it, and you are not my wife, so I can say that here..

Maybe next time a 460 stroker, but not now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts