Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did ford change the balance on the flywheel in 79 when they went to the externally balanced cranks.So in other words can you run a flywheel from a 2YABC(76)crank and put it on a 3Y(87)crank.My flywheel has no weights on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 1/30/02 7:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
Your 87 is externally balanced and the flywheel you have is ZERO balanced for an internally balanced engine. Where alot of confusion comes from is all 429's were internally balanced but NOT all 460's were. The change was around 1979 so as with all changes it took several years to fully change over both cars and trucks .

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The flywheel you have can be used but you will have to get it imbalanced.I had to do this with a 460 crate motor.
What i did was to get a new neutral balanced h/d flexplate and i was lucky enough to borrow a stock ext balanced flexplate as a sample.I took them both to a machine shop that was able to match up the imbalance on my flexplate.All fitted up and worked out nicely..

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
I don't see any reason you couldn't have the balance weight welded on and then balanced up to match the flexplate.The billet flywheel is steel so welding should be ok..
That's my thoughts anyway...

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Greg C after swapping the weight over you should still have it balanced on a machine to be sure it's right.The place i had mine done i think used the stock flexplate with the weight as a reference to set up the machine then balanced the h/d f/plate to match.A friend of mine had a 50oz windsor manual flywheel balanced to 28oz by using a 28oz flexplate as a sample .
I would say it's definitely possible...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts