Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying around with putting a stroker kit through my 460 (probably a 514 kit), but am concerned about the life expectancy of the motor once you start changing all the "angles" etc inside it. The motor has done almost 30,000km so I was hoping to just clean it up a bit and replace the bits required to make it more "interesting".
What have you guys running 351->400+W and 460->500+ motors found the lifespan of the strokers to be like?

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Tony,i dont think there is too many issues that would affect the life of the stroker.I personally like the 502 combo.That's with a 4.15 stroke,6.8"rod and only a .030"bore.I like the longer rod as my theory is with the increase in stroke and a slightly longer rod it keeps the rod/stroke ratio consistent.
That aside,the 514 crate has a stroke of 4.3" but the 6.605" stock length rod so i guess it doesn't make all that much diffence.
Also if you are going to a 514 you are going to need a good set of heads to make the extra cubes worthwhile.
Have you seen anywhere in aust that has the scat or eagle cranks here yet at a reasonable price?.There is a guy here that had the scat cranks a while ago but they were near $2000aus.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Tony,
and Hi Greg,
I have been looking at a artical that I found recently that is a [email protected] BBF stroker combo. it uses 240 CI 6 cylinder rods and offset ground stock crank and special Venolia pistons. I have it saved on my computer if you would like I could send it to you to look over. It is very interesting reading the motor made over 700HP with solid roller cam and over 600 with flat tappet all at less than 6500 rpm. let me know Tim R

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2001-12-31 21:56, Tim R wrote:
Hey Tony,
and Hi Greg,
I have been looking at a artical that I found recently that is a [email protected] BBF stroker combo. it uses 240 CI 6 cylinder rods and offset ground stock crank and special Venolia pistons. I have it saved on my computer if you would like I could send it to you to look over. It is very interesting reading the motor made over 700HP with solid roller cam and over 600 with flat tappet all at less than 6500 rpm. let me know Tim R
Thanks Tim.. I'd like to take a look at that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
greg what kind of head stuff do you mean.
I cant afford alloys thats for sure. My D8VE heads have been ported, desmogged and gasket matched etc already. Are these heads not good enough?

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
tony,i was of the opinion that you would need some good alloys to feed a good 514 but that artcles says otherwise...mmmmm....interesting...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey guys!

Could I get a copy of that article too?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!
Thanks timr...
That article was an eye opener all right!
I think I'll start shopping for parts now

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Tonyk,

Check out 460ford.com the guys over their are really into the 385 engines and may be able to offer a little more insite.

·
Registered
21 Posts
tonyk: i would go for as many cubes as your budget allows.

timr:could i also get a copy of the article,thanx

gregaust:what sort of crank are u after?have u tried vpw in melb. or rocket in syd?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts