Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here manage to stuff a Carbuerated Lima C-6 in a 65-68 Gal without a hood scoop?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, using the "hornet head" Edelbrock aircleaner, or a drop base unit. Not much clearance. One day I'll order a Crites hood...

·
Registered
74 Posts
More info. Flex fan with a 1" spacer off the waterpump. 460PI and C6 from one of Massachusetts finest retired cruisers. The only other mod I had to do to my 1965 was extend the trans brackets on the frame about 3 inches. Used the springs from the 1976 cruiser. The cruiser had four wheel disc brakes which I salvaged, but lost when I moved 6 years ago..

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
You neeed to specify which intake manifold was installed...

Intake manifold, carburator base height, can vary a great deal from stock to aftermarket hi-rise...and obviously tunnel ram setups are completely out of the picture, if you want an uncut hood.

factory manifolds are usually your best chance for low profile, where if you go to something like a Victor/Vic Jr. or Offy sonic, you are getting down to whether or not to use 1 gasket or 2!...it can be that close.

So specify which intake or at least what carb height is listed for the manifold you intend to install.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Just a quick look at one brand, and the different applications available for the 429/460 engine series shows a wide variation for height...ususally based on the rpm potential (horsepower) of the engine. You really need to narrow your question and responses down to something a little more concrete.

Edelbrock intake series

Performer RPM

Performer 460
A-3.75", B-4.45" ~4-4.24 in (same as stock)

RPM Air-gap
4.81 in, B-6.15" ~6.0 in Carb height

Torker II
3.5 to 4.25 in ~4.0 in Carb height

Victor 460
~6.30 in Carb height

PS: Take the above number, then add in the spacer (usually 1 - 2 inches), plus the carb from base to top of air horn and finally the height of the air cleaner ... that gets you in the ball park of just how high the carb/manifold/aircleaner will sit. based from a straight line across the top of the block

**Note: motor mounts and how you have the engine sitting in the chassis accounts for "just" a little more variety.

It's not that easy to get or give a rule of thumb answer without all the facts.

No matter how much it seems like it...I'm not competing for smart-a** of the month. It just a case of been there, done that ... and learned a cutting lesson.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 7/20/06 10:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I got the 429 in, but it was tight. Pan is 1/4" off the crossmember, stock manifold, 4300 with 1"spacer, Moroso drop down air cleaner with a 14",2 3/8 cool blue filter leaves me about 1/2" left for hood clearance. No room for headers. Tall FMS valve covers hit the heater box and the booster-no go. Crites mounts or high rise intakes mean hood scoop for sure. May run a different carb later but have to be careful on height for sure.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I agree with what you just said.

the interference you found with valve covers, factory exhausts (although FPA tri-Y shorties have a reputation for being a near perfect fit), power steering booster is the cost you pay for using the modified factory mount. Thats why the crites kit moves the engine forward.

Radiatior clearence and more engine weight in front of the axels (not the best thing to do, if you can avoid it), is the cost you pay for using the Crites kit.

But, to be fair...Crites advertises their kits as race theme parts assembly, not as a cruiser/factory-type install. They pretty much tell people that up front, yet you still hear the complaints about fit and finish.

Its too bad they'er pretty much the only game in town, 'cause it makes a lot of people buy from them without really thinking about what the site is telling them, thats the source of lot of the complaints (in my opinion..
) ... are not completely justified, if you just read what they tell you when you go to the site or buy the parts.

An engine swap (into a non-production application) is always a study in compromises.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well said Beowolf-Nothing wrong with Crites Products, just they are the only swap people and people start with their mounts and all of a sudden they have to have their headers and hood with scoop. They don't mislead people, but you end up with a different result than most people expect. Swaps are not easy-lots of planning, fabrication, do-overs and money,but it was fun-lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts