Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

460 swap into a '67 ...

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  donwhis 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forums and was hoping someone might be able to help with a couple of questions. I have searched the forums of several sites before posting here. So here is the question ...

Is there a specific oil pan that should be used when swapping a 460 into a '67 Galaxie?

I purchased a '67 Mercury Commuter Wagon (same front chassis?)recently that already had a 460 swapped into it. But, when they installed it, they cut and welded the oil pan to fit. I believe the motor is from a 1977 or 1978 truck based upon engineering numbers I have located on different parts on the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

#4 ·
You should be able to unbolt the motor mounts from the frame, jack the engine up, and put blocks between the crossmember & mounts to get the needed clearance. Then it's just a matter of unbolting the pan, letting it drop down a bit, then reaching in and unbolting the oil pump pick up tube from the pump body. Also, you might have to turn the engine over by hand to get the crank throws in the right spot to gain clearance for everything to come out of there.

I've used this trick on several Ford vehicles of the same era.

Good luck!

#7 ·
I used a stock front sump pan, I found a cheap China chrome pan on ebay for around $20. If you use a stock pan you can use a stock dip stick. If you go with a Mildon or other deep pan you will need to find a longer dip stick or use a Lockar cut to fit. The stock pan will fit depending on what you use for frame perches. I used the modified FE mounts, but if you fab up perches like the article puttster referenced you may need the Mildon pan.

If your current set up has a rear sump you will need to change the oil pump/pick up to a front sump. If you have to change the oil pump don't forget to prime it before you try to start the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.