Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys i need your help!
I just bought a 460 block that I intend to swap into my 68 fastback. It originally had a 302 with a c4 auto floor shift. My question is, What all do i need for the swap, and I want to throw a manual into the car what are your recommendations? I know i will need new suspension parts as well as a 9 inch rear end. The 460 wont mount to the 302 mounts so those need replaced as well and new coil springs and front end suspension. I'm really curious about the transmission as i keep finding c6 trannies in my area for around $200. any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

Trevor

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
718 Posts
Does any one recommend changing the c6 to manual or is it too big of a pain?
Trevor
the C4 will not bolt up to a 460. you will need to change the trans. c6 if fine. your going to have to change the driveshaft and that 8" rear aint gonna hold up. you will need a 9" with 31 spline axles. the 460 is heavier then an fe so front coils for a torino with a 429 will be needed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Stick with the auto. You'll also need to consider throttle cable (check out Lokar) and new/modified drive shaft and yokes. What will you do for exhaust? I imagine you can probably run the same headers as a 70-71, but who knows until you start fitting them in. You'll also need a C6 tranny mount of course. I've got a '68 GT fastback too, and am thinking of doing the same swap. I'd really like to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been reading alot at the 460 forums and there is a ton of help there! But as far as the headers go i'll probably figure something out, i have a custom exhaust shop like right up the street. They ran a custom exhaust and headers for my dads WS6 Trans Am. As far as 9" runs, is there alot that can be screwed up with one?? If i go and buy a craigslist special for $200 is there alot that could be wrong with it? and how difficult is it to mount a c6 in a c4 tunnel?

·
Registered
802 Posts
the tunnels are all the same, the C6 will fit.

As far as manual goes that all depends on you, for most strip an auto is typically more consistent. For fun street driving, the manual is the way to go.

good luck on your project!

·
Registered
4 Posts
if yer not gonna really pound the car or build huge power...go with a Bell housing from a Lincoln or early t-bird..like '69..
Some came with 385series big blocks (429-460) with C4's...
These are like hens teeth....but they are out there...
and as far as the C4....You can build nice C4's now that are far better than a C6 could ever be...much less static loss...lighter...better shifting...
If yer gonna pound it and/or drag it.. get a good bell housing from a reputable company...
It will all fit right in your tunnel.
Good luck with motor mounts....I have yet to find a perfect swap part number....
Try Crites....good luck there...
THANK GOD for the BIG BLOCK FORD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts