Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I have done everything...Heat shielding around starter, Replaced cables to solenoid and starter and grounding cables, tested timing, replaced injectors, and fuel pressure controller, tested fuel pumps banged my head against wall, then I rapped on one of my fuel pump relays and it started hot.... I replaced both relays and voila it now starts perfectly hot!!!!! These relays run really hot and oxidize in the plug connectors. I cleaned it up and nooxed the connectors all is good with the world. So, if this issue is still a mystery for you guys, check the relays. Strange that they worked cool and running down the road for hours, but not on hot restart. hmmm.. engineers????

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had a 460 in an 82 Zephyr. Only 10-1 comp. Did the same thing 1000 CCA battery but NADA. Went to #2 welding cables al the way around and mini starter. Factory stuff just ain't goin to make it. Headers and factory starters in tight engine bays don't get along to well. Had the same issue on a 73 Challenger 340 with headers.
Another thing to watch for is the carb floats to high and flooding over due to gas heating up when it's shut off. Causing a fluid lock.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts