Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find a 494 boss engine on a stand so I can take a 3D scan of it ? John

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're just looking to model the outside, the displacement doesn't matter so much as the specific accessory drive, front cover, oil pan, block, heads, valve covers, ignition setup, intake manifold (or manifolds) and induction apparatus (there are oodles of choices, with and without forced induction, with and without fuel injection, with and without carbs, with and without nitrous, etc. -- remembering that some of these can be used together; and not every carb looks the same, etc, etc).

Most Boss 494s likely had dry sump oiling, and were based on other-than-regular-production blocks (over the years, a variety of "Boss 429" blocks have been produced in a variety of deck heights, etc). Complicating all this is the fact that engines assembled for dynamometer testing or mock-up often differ significantly (or, with remarkable frequency, "greatly") from the engine as it appears in an actual installation.

If you're looking to do modeling of the reciprocating assembly, you're going to run into similar problems: some "Boss" heads are pretty close to the OE "semi-hemi" combustion-chamber design, but some have near-wedge chambers and others use a "true hemi" design. I don't know of any of the 1970s Can-Am engines that used 6 bolts per cylinder, but some of the modern "Boss" engines do; I don't know of any that are specifically 494 cubes, but "anything can happen."

I've got a feeling this isn't the response you were looking for, but maybe it will help you to get in-touch with the people who can provide what you're looking for. Most engine builders are secretive about their shops, tools and work product: getting anything useful out of them is like asking the NSA for blueprints to the White House -- just FYI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My reply,
I'm modelling in 1:24 scale . how do the heads differ from OE on the outside ? I'm in the middle of finding info of the bob glidden t-bird . does it look like a boss 429 head and valve cover the only difference it has is that "boss 494" in the valve covers ?
Does it have a angled head instead does it have a level head?
If the head is angled what is that angle (in degrees).
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts