Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a top loader from a 67 gt 390 car in my 64 and I need to get a speedo cable,my car did not come with one.should I get a speedo cable from a 67 to put in my 64 and how many tooth gear would go into the housing to make my speedo correct with 4:10 gears.
also where would you guys look for the parts I need.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Back a couple years ago, we had three Speedo repair shops within 20 minutes of here. I had one of them make up a whole cable, based upon what I estimated to be the correct length with a tape measure. Then gave them tire diameter (bigger than original) gear ratio and via flashlight what looked to be count of spiral teeth on shaft and direction.

Gave it to them a 9AM and by 5PM is was all done, shiney, lubed and ready for install. I was expecting a few days, but the clerk assured me it was an easy order. Came with new snap on end and one with spyral nylon gear and greasy red all over the place. Thus at night, I had to install it, and then drove car to work next morning with accurate speedometer. The estimate of length was what bothered me, but clerk added in extra four inches and this turned out a bit long.

Total lay-out with tax was less than $35. I am sure in looking through yellow pages there would be a speedo place near you.

Wm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts