Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run into problems and need some advice. I just tried mocking it up with junkyard parts. They are 1987 5.0, 1965 bellhousing number C5OP-7976-A, and a 1964 C4 empty case. I used the three piece front motor mounts a purchased C4 adapter transmission mount. The bellhousing hits the front top of the firewall and the transmisson lacks about 3/4" of matching the transmission mount. Seems like I can't raise the transmission high enough because of the bellhousing problem. The transmission pan tilts down at an angle.

Any advice or parts numbers needed would be helpful. Is the 1964 case to old? Is the bellhousing incorrect? It is the small bell and bolted to the engine just fine. How to you tell if the intermediat motor mounts are on correctly?

Anybody please help!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Try switching the motor mounts side to side which might move the motor forward.If that doesn't work the intermediate mounts might be installed on the wrong side. The '64 C4 case is basically the same as later models so that doesn't sound like the problem.The bellhousing is fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using three piece motor mounts purchased from Northwest Falcons. They are made to put a V8 in 60-65 Falcons and Mustangs. My son is coming over soon and we will try swaping mounts around to see if this helps. Thanks! I appreciate all the advice I can get.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You didn't say what year Falcon this is going into. The 60 Falcon have a smaller transmission hump, you can modify this by using a section from a '65 firewall. Moving the motor forward will also put more weight on the front axles (spindles). You will need to increase the length of the throttle linkage, Use a universal radiator hoses. The driveshaft will be too short and no telling what other surprises you will run into. It will be easier to get the BFH out of the tool shed and have at it.

>edit< woops just read the subject line. 60-61 use same firewalls.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 11/12/06 2:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I just looked at my '62 Falcon to verify a few things.It's an early '62 made in August '61 so the firewall is the same as a '61. The heads of the top two trans to motor bolts clear the firewall by about 1/2 inch but the ribs of the '65 C4 bellhousing are real close to the top of the tunnel.Make sure the V8 cast frame mounts,the ones with the three attaching bolts, are bolted to the front of the mounting rib of the shock towers. Not sure if it's possible to mount them to the rear side anyway. I'm pretty sure the intermediate and actual motor mounts are different side to side so it is possible to mix things up.

I used a cable throttle set-up from a mid '70's Torino but other Fords of that era will work. The radiator for a V8 '65/'66 Mustang will bolt in allowing the use of molded '65 Mustang upper and lower radiator hoses. The early type waterpump with inlet on the passenger side is required though.

A Maverick 8 inch rear end is almost the same width as an early Falcon and basically will bolt in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I turned the itermediate motor mounts around. This moved the engine forward about 1/4 inch, but this did allow me to lift the tail of the transmission into place and just barely clear the firewall with the bellhousing.

I still have the problem of the transmission mount lacking about 3/4 inch from bolting to the transmission mount I purchased from Northwest Falcon.

My son recomended welding an extension on the C4 transmission adaptor and drilling new holes. He also suggested, like 1bad6t, to get a big hammer and give the firewall a little adjustment.

What does anyone think about this?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
when i put a 225hp 289 4V,4spd in my 62 2dr wag,I used everything from the 65 Mustang 2+2 convert,pony interior,rally pak,4spd.Payed $50 and drove it home(wish i had id now).Everything bolted in except the rear crossmember

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 11/12/06 4:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Maybe the trans mount can be turned around? I'm not familiar with the aftermarket C4 crossmember you have. Sometimes a BFH is required to make things fit.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
On 2006-11-11 11:42, 1bad6t wrote:
You didn't say what year Falcon this is going into.
>edit< woops just read the subject line. 60-61 use same firewalls.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 11/12/06 2:55am ]</font>
Be easy on me guys. I forgot a about the subject after reading all the replies. I did revise my post to reflect this mistake.

My bellhousing is close to the firewall also, although my Falcon is a 4 speed and not automatic. The 60 and early 61’s use a different frame to frame transmission crossmember mount than the late 61-65. See This Link You might have to Frankenstein your own crossmember like I did to mount a T-10 in my ‘60

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 11/12/06 6:04am ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 61 futura I had to cut out part of my trans hump/firewall and make a new cover. I used hinges on the new cover so I could lift it easier to get to the bellhousing bolts. I used the same motormount and trans mount kit as you and mine bolted right in after the transhump was clear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, buscg! That is similar to what I ended up doing. I did cut a section of the firewall out and welded in a new piece shaped differently.

No problem with clearance or fit now. I appreciate all the advice I received on this subject!!!!!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
When I bought mine it had a 289 and a four speed in it. The guy that I got it from did a little hammer work to the fire wall for clearance for the four speed. I dove it like that for a year tell I twisted the input shaft in the top loader. You mite have to do it too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the six piece motor mounts on my 61 with a 302 going into it. I think this is what they're supposed to look like (Please correct me if I'm wrong):

That's only the first part of them. I should have all 6 pieces on there by the end of the week. Is this how they go???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To LittleFranky. You have them right. Looking at your center link it looks like you have already made the switch to V8 steering. I did the same thing using new upper and lower control arms. I made the Granada disc brake conversion at the same time.

Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same here. I didn't put the shims on the upper control arms though. I think I will take a visit to the boneyard today and pick up some from another falcon and label which shim goes on which stud this time. I have the shims from my Falcon but I have no idea how many go on each side. My wheels are way out of alignment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts