Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just sold my pro street Falcon and bought 93 Cobra Mustang survivor car. The original motor is tired so I am replacing it with a new 306ci Ford Crate motor that should be pretty much a direct replacement. I should mention that the car also has a Kenne Bell dealer installed supercharger running 5 PSI. This is my first EFI car and I know next to nothing about it although I expect to know a lot more before I'm done. My question is this, should I do anything with the injectors themselves when I pull the motor? Have them serviced, replace them etc? I believe that they are the stock injectors. 19lb? Thanks in advance for any help or info.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
If it's running well now, I would just do a home flush and clean. If you plan to run more boost in the future, then an upgrade will be necessary, as the new crate engine ("crate" can mean anything - I assume it's a better HP combo) will likely use what room you have left on those. I would hesitate to do the upgrade with the swap, as you'll have enough fun just doing the swap right and getting the break-in done properly. If the engine is an improved version, then you should see less boost with the same pulleys as you do now - but better HP. Get the engine settled-in and then begin making necessary and wanted changes.
:tup:
David

A spare connector and 9v battery will allow flushing - an easy way to check spay patterns and give a quick cleaning. Flipping the setup for a back-flush first often yields surprising results.
Be safe
:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David, I'll give that a shot.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!

My friend has a low milage '93 Cobra with a supercharger on it. He's running much higher # injectors and has a problem with intake gaskets sealing. Other than that his car is near mint. A good forum for it is SVTPerformance.com they have a LOT of Cobra guys on there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1993 Cobra Mustangs with 5.0L HO engines came, all 4293 +- of them, with 24 LB fuel injectors, and roller valve rockers under the covers. The 24s required a different calibration for the PCM (then maybe called "ECU"), and slightly different Mass Air calibration.

Ford Motorsports used to sell a KIT having the appropriate Mass Air Sensor and PCM, to use in converting 5.0s. I used that kit to convert a 351W in a '68 Mach I to EFI for a Lawyer's kid out of Albuquerque. It ran beautifully!

impish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts